Have you ever worried yourself sick about something only to have it turn out to work out just fine?

I have been totally freaking out about telling my parents that I am moving next year. I was afraid they would disown me and lecture me for hours on end. I finally told them last night. They were shocked but didn't really say anything.

All day today I was worrying about it and wondering when they were going to start lecturing me. By the end of the day, I felt physically ill from the worry.

Then I got the call from my Dad wanting to meet for coffee. He didn't yell at me once. We had an awesome talk, he gave me some great advice and then he bought me dinner.

Oh, and then I got hit on by some teenagers (I'm 35. My dd was kinda grossed out as she was standing right there when they were hitting on me)

I feel like a HUGE weight has just been lifted off my shoulders.

Anyone else have a great end to their day?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 11:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2013 in Relationships

• I try not to let things which are out of my control get to me too much. If my mind is racing at night & keeping me from much-needed sleep, I literally turn my worries over to God. I also pray for strength to get me thru difficult times. That doesn't mean I never worry, but usually not to the point of getting myself sick. I'm very glad things turned out better than you anticipated. And that was def. an ego boost to get hit on by the youngens! lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• The funny thing is that the things I expected fallout from never really as bad (if at all) as what I anticipated. The things that maybe should have scared me snuck up and bit on the behind. LOL
    I am glad it went well for you.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• HA!! I could write a book.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• I tend to be a big worrier, but I'm trying to correct that flaw in my personality because if the thing I've suffered and fretted over turns out not to happen, then I put myself through my own private hell for no reason at all. It's really kind of crazy, once you tink about it. I'm glad your parents decided to be supportive.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Yep. I was bunkered down in a grocery freezer as the Moore tornado passed less than a city block's width in front of the building. I was so stressed, I'm still fighting the stress-acne on my face. I survived, had some damage to my brand new car, and my DH and children survived 9 miles from me in our home that was missed by 0.8 miles when the tornado came up off the ground.

Otherwise, I'm pretty good at determining where my stress is expressed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Every freaking day. I call myself the queen of irrational fears. It used to drive my ex crazy. Before I married again, I told my now DH that he would be hearing me freak out about something almost everyday. So he knew what he was getting into.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:12 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Yes. Everydayn
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Yes, I have!

These days, when I'm in a situation such as yours, I try to support myself (can include finding a friend, or else "being there" for myself--able to witness the intense discomfort, nervousness, dread & agitation) and I just put my worries out there. With myself, with a friend, or with a therapist. Any will work (though free is better! lol)
    A friend recently did this with me--just worked through her "irrational" anxiety around an upcoming visit. She knew she wanted to spend time with the visitor, but she was feeling dread about that person's possible expectations of her. My friend knew her own personal limits & was prepared to honor them, but was just feeling dread about having to "be in that position" & being seen as letting the visitor down.

Putting it out there aloud helps in "seeing" the problem.
    Then I can see that I don't "need" my parents to react in a way that honors my boundaries; I can honor them myself.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:11 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Thanks, ladies!

The awesome part was that in talking to my dad, I realize how much he is like my SO. I always heard that girls end up marrying someone like their dad.

Ballad and Dardenella, I'm much like you both. I tend to worry and then what I worry about isn't that big of a deal but then find out there were things I should have been worrying about.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 12:17 AM on Sep. 10, 2013