Sinus problems causing DD to throw up?

my DD (5 yo) has some nasty sinus junk and has had it off and on since April. my family has pretty bad allergies and all of us (me, my bro, DS, and my dad) have been miserable along with her. earlier this evening (while i was in class, ugh!) she threw up, but DH said it was mostly green mucus. she was acting totally fine when i left for class, and DH says she just acted really tired for about 30 mins before throwing up. luckily, she was able to give him enough warning so that it all went into our throw up bucket. she hasnt thrown up again (its been maybe 4 hours?) and fell asleep as soon as i got home (she'd been making herself stay up till i got home so she could tell me what happened). no fever, no aches, and she never complained that anything hurt, just the normal ick throat from vomiting.

2 questions. is sinus drainage throw up a reason to see the dr? my brother threw up every morning of high school b/c of sinus drainage and eventually had to have his adenoids, tonsils, and some scar tissue from his sinus cavity removed. if this is a sign of something more to come id like to get it handled now. or is this just one of those things that happens to little kids when they swallow too much snot?

other question...since its not a stomach bug or flu or something, is it okay to send her to school tomorrow (if she feels up to it)? she really loves school and im pretty sure she's gonna want to go (this girl demanded to go to pre-K w/ a 102 fever and severe ear infection last year haha). if i need to keep her home i must prepare for a fight haha.

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 11:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I was going to suggest sinus drainage. Have you tried anything like benadryl or mucinex to dry her out?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• she takes equate Claritin every morning per dr's advice, but this allergy seasons been worse than usual.
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• i have blown chunks when I had a belly full of snot
    that stuff just doesnt sit well

send her to school- no worries
    and yeah- nothing is drying her up?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• If it's a frequent ordeal yes because throwing up can really damage your esophagus. Sounds like she might have some really bad post nasal drip. That can trigger gag reflexes causing her to throw up.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• If it's a one-time thing, I wouldn't worry about taking your kid to the doctor. She's not sick; you know why she threw up. If it starts happening a lot, you might as well spare her years of vomiting by getting her adenoids and tonsils out sooner than later. I wouldn't think keeping her home from school would be necessary since she's not contagious. Poor thing; sinus problems are the pits.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• she takes equate Claritin every morning per dr's advice,

have you talked to doc about doubling the dose?
    one in the morning and one in the evening?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• ^^that's what I was going to say^^
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2013

• Yes sinus drainage can irritate so much that a person throws it up.
    I would watch her and see if she does it again. Every day would be excessive and would lead to tissue being scarred in the esophagus but once, I wouldn't wory about. I would mention it to the doctor at her next visit so that he looks a little closer at the tonsils, etc. I do not see any reason for her to stay home unless she starts with more symptoms.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:09 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• its kids Claritin so maybe she needs the adult stuff? we have an appointment sometime in October so i'll bring up this sinus stuff again then, unless it starts happening more often. thanks so much ladies! you've put my mind at ease...plus, i dont have to force her to stay home haha.
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 12:51 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• DD is nearly six and used to have this problem. she would have massive headaches and vomiting due to sinuses and allergies. The claritin was not doing it for her. They switched her to Flonase and it has made all the difference in the world. I would see a doctor for it just because if the calritin is no longer helping they may have another suggestion.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:19 AM on Sep. 10, 2013