Do you want to know why the rest of the civilized world thinks the US is nothing but snake handling nutjobs?

Teen exorcists: Women who expel demons on stage

3 middle class girls from Arizona have travelled around the US and Europe to help "dispel evil".  They feel the UK is especially evil because *gasp* that's where Harry Potter books come from.  Conveniently, one of the parents of these little crusaders is a televangelist who was an active participant in the Satanic Panic of the 80's.  He puts them on his tv and radio shows here, and now 

Their documentary will be airing on BBC in the UK this week, aren't they just wonderful ambassadors?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:58 AM on Sep. 10, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Wasn't it in the UK that the boy was murdered just a couple years ago because he was accused of being a witch? If someone judges a whole country by a handful of people, I don't really concern myself with what they think.

Answer by missanc at 8:07 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Wasn't it in the UK that the boy was murdered just a couple years ago because he was accused of being a witch?

That was an immigrant family. I wasn't suggesting they were judging the US based on the behavior of illegals. These are your "typical, all American teenagers." They've been groomed to be exactly that.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:09 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• "People will pay thousands of dollars to go to drug rehab or to pay psychiatrists but there's this idea that spirituality needs to be for free."

Correct me if I'm wrong but ... I don't believe Jesus charged anyone. I was also under the impression that you didn't have to be able to afford spirituality - I thought it was for everyone. And what was that story about the rich man and heaven?

goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 8:36 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• These are your "typical, all American teenagers."

But they're not. Just because someone claims that doesn't make it so. My friends and family can run around telling everyone they know that I'm a bestselling author - that doesn't make it true. And if someone believes them - still doesn't make it true.

If people are going to judge and come to conclusions based on something like those girls, then their opinion really doesn't mean anything to me anyway. I only consider opinions that are based on fact, research and at least a hint of actual thought, rather than "Oh, I saw that on TV so it must be true!"
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:37 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• I think I'm bothered by the fact that this even gets chosen to be aired. Wtf??
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:03 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Arizona says it all. That state is off course in all directions so this isn't surprising to me.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 9:03 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• I saw something a while ago that people in China or Japan or somewhere thought American life was like Sex in the City. That's what they saw on TV and that's what they assumed we all were like. I happen to think American life is more along the line of Married with Children but that's just me lol.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:04 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• OMG my Hubby's from the UK, I guess I better have him exercised......
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:06 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Why are the Harry Potter books so bad, but JRR Tolkien's novels and C.S. Lewis's novels are A ok? Merlin's ok too, right? I just understand the descreprencies. Why are other similar novels not criticized like the Harry Potter books?

Sorry, I know it's a bit off topic.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Why are other similar novels not criticized like the Harry Potter books?

Because stupid people don't read, they just go off what they see on tv, and of late, HP has had the most publicity. Chances are the ones who don't read LotR don't even realize there's a magic component to it.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:22 AM on Sep. 10, 2013