What is worse?

Driving DUI alone or driving excessively fast with a toddler in the car not in his carseat? They are both bad, but which is worse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I can't say which is worse...but Jason Richardson is screwed. I hope CPS treats him like a regular person and takes away his son.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 2:48 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Hard pick. I'd say the toddler, because although being inebriated is not an acceptable excuse for drinking and driving, there is at least a reason that the person is driving dangerously: they aren't able to think clearly. (I'm not saying it's ok, they should have planned for transportation ahead of time). But a person that does not put a toddler in a carseat is putting their own child at a great risk, without any type of drug clouding their decision making skills.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:45 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Tough one. DUI is putting an unknown number of strangers at risk - that may or may not be children. Driving too fast is putting strangers at risk too. Not as bad as DUI but, if there is a child in the car and you know it. Then it becomes as bad, if not worse than DUI.

FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 3:17 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I know this sounds cold hearted, but I think the dui is worse. The reason is - if you are speeding, you are putting yourself and your child at risk (horrible for the child, I fully agree!)

But, in most cases, the other drivers can see you speeding up on them and get out of your way.

The dui however, even if you're alone - you're putting everyone else - INCLUDING countless other toddlers in other people's cars - in danger, and you are much harder to spot before you kill someone.

I've lost several friends to drunks - the first was when I was 7 - my friends family was hit by a drunk and she was thrown from the car (this was before seat belts were as common) and she was thrown from the car and decapitated. There were a few I knew in high school - not all in the same accidents, and NONE of them were the ones drinking or riding with someone who had been.

I've only heard of a few people (4 at my dh's command) killed by speeding
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:28 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Well 1 local DUI alone killed the family of 5 including kids. So probably DUI like the others said since more people are put at risk
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 6:52 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• By the way - the 4 that were killed from speeding were all in the same car.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:35 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• This is going to sound horrible, but I think a DUI is worse because you are putting everyone on the road in danger. If you are driving with a loose toddler in your car, maybe you are too stupid to breed anyway and don't need to reproduce.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• BOTH ARE!!! IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU ARE WHEN YOUR DRIVING IF YOUR PUTTING OTHER PEOPLES LIFE IN DANGER
    FTBALLMOF2BOYS

Answer by FTBALLMOF2BOYS at 12:09 PM on Feb. 19, 2009