Would you do this?

i just want to know, as a parent, your opinion on this. my daughter is in first grade and we live within walking distance to the school. every morning i walk her to the crosswalk and she walks the rest of the way. she has to cross two streets but there are crossing guards there every morning and it's an L shaped cross walk so that's why i say two streets. then she is literally right at the school and knows her way to class. well i called this morning to ask if she can start walking home without parental supervision also. the thing is, i dont want her to walk home by herself, but i think she should be able to walk away from the school and to the crosswalk and i'll walk toward her from my home rather than walking up to the school and her teacher seeing me before she can be released. she's capable of walking the crosswalk alone because she does it every morning along with dozens of other kids in her grade. the school says as long as i write a note to the teacher she can be released without a parent. would you as a parent do this or would you maybe wait another year?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• I think I'd do what you are doing in the morning- that sounds okay
    but in the afternoon, I'd go all the way and get her at least for this year
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:46 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• I would walk her to and from the school everyday.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 12:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• I would keep going all the way to the school. You never know when a crazy person is right their to snatch your kid up. Better safe the sorry.
    Is it that hard to walk all the way to the school twice a day?

Answer by louise2 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• I personally couldn't do it. I freak out when I see anyone's child walking around without parents. That's just me. We live in a crazy world.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• hell no I wouldn't!!! shes what 7?? kids wonder off, get kidnapped all the time walking home from school! I would not take the chance of my daughters getting kidnapped by some pedophile. have you gotten on the web and looked to see how many are in your area? I would walk my kids ALL the way there and back. sorry just my feelings on it.
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• the only reason im concerned about doing it in the afternoon is of the timing and if im late getting to the crosswalk

I would never be comfortable with is. But it seems you already made up your mind. Your question was "would you do this" my answer is NO!
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 1:21 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Not for a first grader.

Answer by missanc at 1:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• I have mixed feelings on this. Can you see her the whole time? I would not allow her to walk by herself. Unfortunately theres a lot of bad people in this world and you really can't take a chance.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 1:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• what is the reason you can't walk the full way?  she is very young to be left alone.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• so why not got all the way?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Sep. 10, 2013