No Money

My daughter and myself were invited to a birthday this Saturday that we have been planning to attend. Party is combined for a little girl a year older than my daughter and her brother, who I think is a couple years older than her. My daughter doesn't hang around this girl (different grades), but she still wants to go to the party and although I am FB friends with the mom, we aren't really "friends."

Well, because of unexpected expenses last week, we can't afford to buy this girl a birthday gift (let alone her brother, but never planned to buy for him). Not sure what to do? Just say we won't come to the party or show up without a gift or contact mom and ask if okay to show up without a gift?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• It's always ok to come without a gift. You can ask the other mom if it's ok or you can help her make a gift for the friend. If I find myself without cash I make cookies or my daughter draws a picture or makes a bracelet or something like that. Once we gave an IOU in a card. The friend thought it was hilarious. She got a nice gift a week later when we had the money on hand.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• You can't spare even a $10 bill to put in a card from the dollar store? If not, I don't think I would attend the party. I would feel weird about going to a function like that w/out a gift. You can always make a play date at a park on another day.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Your daughter can make a homemade card.. maybe you could bake some cookies to go along with the card?
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Call and say you are not coming to the party due to unforseen circumstances, and you should have planned on buying both of them a gift, hard to imagine you can't scrape up $10 and get them both something from the $1 store.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• What about two small gifts at five below.?
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• I would not go if I could not bring a gift. I would be too embarrassed & I'd make up an excuse especially since you both are not that friendly with these people. How about re-gifting something your Daughter has & some small thing from the Dollar store for the boy?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Do you have anything in the house new in package?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:19 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Do you have ingredients in the house to make play doh? (Flour, salt, food coloring, something else)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Yeah- a re-gifted item is a great idea. Anything stashed at all? Sorry you are having money troubles. I know it sucks.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Perhaps you can make a coupon book to have her give the child. You could do it for one activity a month but they could be cheap things to do. One month play date, next month movie night at your house, another make cookies, in the winter maybe a date to go sled riding, etc.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2013