Favoritism at work?

We, as employees, have the ability to work from home. This is not something that is done on a regular basis because A. I believe some employees used to take advantage of it B. It's difficult to monitor employees when they're at home. On occasion, employees have worked from home for various reasons: a sick grandchild, a sick child, a sick pet, waiting for a deliver, a long commute on a short work day, etc. There is one employee who is able to utilize this option more than others for times when her children don't have school etc (our children attend the same school district and have the same school dates off). She works part time and was hired working one day from home, Thursdays/week. Sometimes she moves this date around and uses it other days, sometimes she works from home multiple days/week. Today, her 14 year old is ill so she is working from home. I had this same circumstance a few weeks ago when my son was ill, and was advised that for consistency reasons, I could not work from home, and would have to take a sick day, so I did. A month ago, my son was at camp without a way home, and I had requested to work from home so I could pick him up (all of my work was complete and I worked ahead by a week) and was told I could not. I came into work that day.

I understand the reasoning for consistency purposes and for those who take advantage of this, but what I don't understand is that all but 1 other employee has been allowed, mulitple times, to work from home for illnesses and various reasons, but I am not. The employee who does it the most is good friends with the supervisor.

Would this be considered favoritism? If not, would it be considered favoritism if she works from home on her contracted day on Thursday as well as today as opposed to taking a sick day? If it were you, how would you handle this, or would you not say anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Sep. 10, 2013 in Money & Work

• Oh I feel for you. I worked almost 6 yrs in an office w/ blatant favoritism. It sucks. Is there someone above the supervisor you could speak to? Would speaking to the supervisor do you any good? Is there anything in writing about utilizing the work-from-home days? If not, maybe it should be so it can be consistently & fairly implemented. If not, then I guess start looking elsewhere, b/c a person can only take so much. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• From your description, it sounds like favoritism to me. Whether you say anything depends on how much good you think it will do, I guess. If it's just going to rock the boat and not result in any change, then it's probably better to either suck it up or look for another job. If there's someone who is neutral that you can take the issue up wit, then it might be worth a shot. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:15 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• You don't mention whether the two of you do the same work. It may be that you are considered more integral to the operation than the part-timer. Integral folks don't get so much work-from-home time. That's a good problem to have.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:31 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I would have picked up my son anyway's.
    I wouldn't have cared what my boss said.
    Family comes first.
    Mycutelittleboy

Answer by Mycutelittleboy at 12:58 AM on Sep. 11, 2013