Whatever your opinion is on a strike on Syria

What would Obama have to say to convince you to change your mind about agreeing or disagreeing with a strike on Syria?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 5:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Not a damn thing, we don't belong there and I can't think of anything that will make me change my mind about that.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• I actually like Obama and there's nothing he could say that would convince me that military intervention is appropriate in this matter. We have war fatigue, we're broke and like I said in another post, the Middle East is going to be unstable for quite some time. We need to hone our diplomatic skills/strategies.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• i really cant think of anything he could say to change my mind on this. hopefully the weapons dump will happen...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Wow. I'm not sure there's anything he could say that would change my opinion. I've been praying for cool heads to prevail.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• I don't think he can convince me there should be military intervention. The military community is exhausted with 12 years of this

I do think when they say there won't be "boots on the ground", they mean private security firms like whatever Blackwater is calling itself now will be doing all the fighting. There might be a few troops there for feel good photo ops for visiting politicians and dignitaries though.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• I don't think BHO could say anything that would convince me to change my mind. Syria is a place that we simply have no business being in at this time.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• missed the address, was putting daughter down
    thoughts on it, anything we did not expect to hear
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• He would have to disclose the truth, the whole truth.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Assad has many chemical weapons, he can hide most of them, and still hand over a lot of of CW or make more. Considering the ingredients that is used to make the CW is also used in medications. I think if he may think that if do end up doing a limited strike,no boots on the ground, he can console himself and say "well I tried diplomacy..." And if we all think about, thats what Japan did when they attacked Pearl Harbor. A limited strike, no boots on the ground...
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• I didn't listen. I usually don't. I prefer to read the transcripts. I haven't even tried to look for it since I just finished putting my kids down too.

My question really had more to do with the fact that the administration was saying (up until Assad agreed to turn over chemical weapons) that the strike that they planned was not meant for regime change and wasn't going to be a long and involved action, no boots on the ground, very minimal and finally - described by Kerry as 'incredibly small'. Nothing that was described would amount to much other than to just piss off a whole region of people. I agree that we have no business there.

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2013