Why do I need to apologize?

My older sister won't speak with me until I apologize.
A few months ago, I was driving with my mom and my little sister. Our older sister is always doing something to upset us. She is very over powering, loud and bossy. She knows she upsets me because I've told her, but her excuse is, " This is who I am and I'm not changing for nobody!" Anyway, we were driving in the car and started venting about her. After we get t o our destination, my mom looks at her phone realised she butt dialed my sister! She heard the whole convo and was very upset. My mom has since apologized, but now my sister won't speak to me until I apologize. I don't feel I need to because I was speaking truthful and plus, she didn't have to listen. I really don't want to talk her anyway until she changes her ways. Its been nice not having her barge in my house unannounced, and criticizing me about how I raise my kids,how I spend my money and petty little things. It's just awkward how I have to avoid her and holidays are coming up. Should I just bite the bullet and apologize?

RubyBlue82

Asked by RubyBlue82 at 7:12 PM on Sep. 10, 2013 in Relationships

• You were talking shit behind her back.

It's one thing to tell that to her face, but come on. You apologize when you're a bitch.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:15 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• So.....you'll bitch about her behind her back, but don't have the balls to say any of it to her face.

yeeeaaahhhh.....I'd be pissed at you too. Stop being a bitch and apologize to her for badmouthing her behind her back.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:17 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• I don't apologize unless I'm truly sorry. Even to my freakazoid narcissist FIL. It doesn't happen. I would just suggest you be civil, and if she asks you what your problem is, just say, "I can't give you a false apology. I'm not sorry about what I said, and we've had the discussion before. I don't like the way you've been handling things, don't appreciate your attitude, but I do love you, and I want to make nice, but appropriately."
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• She's not apologizing for being a bitch. She knows she's a bitch but doesn't care. Everything we were talking about, is everything I have already discussed with her
    RubyBlue82

Comment by RubyBlue82 (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• She might be a bitch but before anything else she is blood and your sister..family forgives and apologizes, she can't change who she is and what she is and we should love each other faults and all, I am sure you aren't perfect, and I am sure she loves you just the same...do not let this make a wedge between you two..life is too short for petty things like character flaws separate you from family....

Answer by older at 7:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• The nice thing to do would be to apologize. But " This is who I am and I am not changing for anyone." You need not apologize for what was said. Your feelings are what they are. She is just going to have to get glad in the pants she got mad in. You are entitled to your vent and as you said it's nothing she hasn't heard before. You don't have to avoid her. You don't have to apologize. You just need to be civil around the holidays. It will blow over eventually.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:14 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Look up the definition of sorry.
    It really does not mean what many people want it to mean...

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• I wish I could help you with this. But I am basicly in  the same positions as you are. But with my DD's.

Answer by louise2 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• Since you seem to be the more mature one, hopefully she can follow your example.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

• What are you 15? You are acting like a little child. You were saying things that were hurtful behind her back. You got caught. Own it and apologize.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:19 PM on Sep. 10, 2013