Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is a step-parent's income considered when deciding child support liability?

I live in Texas and we mediated years ago and agreed on $200 per month and now my ex wants more even though my financial situation has not changed. My husband, however, has received multiple raises. We have 2 other children and cannot afford to pay more in child support. Will they take my current husband's income into consideration too? What is the percentage that is taken if I have 2 other children living with me?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

Answers (11)
  • Step patents income is not included in Texas. Sorry, I don't have a clue about the percentage, but I do know having children under 18 in your home factors in per child.

    Answer by PandaGwen at 7:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

  • Call your lawyer that's the best way to find out... In IN they cannot take more then 1/3 of your income and I don't think they take in account step parents income

    Answer by rachel216 at 7:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

  • Where I live, a step parent's income doesn't count. Well, it doesn't count in terms of I can't get more child support if my ex get married and his new wife has an income. BUT, I do think it counts in terms of if they had a kid, the new wife's income would count to the degree that he wouldn't be able to claim having a new child as a reason to not have to pay child support - they would see her income as being able to provide some for their shared child, so he wouldn't be able pull "Oh, but I have another family and can't afford to support this kid!"

    The best thing you can really do is just go back to court and show your financial situation. If the judge orders more, you have to pay it. You can contest it, but if it's ordered, you gotta pay it.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 7:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

  • What happens if you don't have a job at all? How do they figure out an amount that way?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

  • My Ex lost his job. They went back for review and his amount was lowered, and did not use or even have to show my income.

    I also know when he was behind they confiscated his part of our income tax,but I filed married jointly and they couldn't take my portion. Cant recall the right term. You need to call the cS office and ask.

    Answer by PandaGwen at 8:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

  • What happens if you don't have a job at all? How do they figure out an amount that way?

    My ex lied about not having a job when my child support was ordered. Here in FL, if they aren't working, the judge calculates based on one of two things:

    1. If the person has a skill (say, they're a doctor, a lawyer), they'll base it on the average annual salary, or what the person made when they did work in their profession.

    2. Anyone else, they base it on minimum wage or the starting pay for their usual profession. If they work in jobs like fast food or grocery stores, it would be minimum wage, but if they have a job like being an electrician or plumber, where there's a bit of skill involved (but not the same education as being a doctor or lawyer), it's the usual starting pay.

    At least, that was how the judge explained it when we did this about 10 years ago. Could've changed since then.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 8:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

  • no they wont consider your husbands income
    he has no obligation to the kids
    if he decides to walk the fuck out the door the state isnt going to say he has to pay CS

    anyone that tells you otherwise is a negative word

    Answer by feralxat at 8:49 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

  • Here in NC, technically a step parents income doesn't count BUT since I don't work they always want to see my husbands paystubs. If he were making 250k or something I think the judge would deviate down from the expected support from my ex since he makes so much less. Here they do take into account other children of both the custodial and non custodial parent. You can google child support calculator and your state. There is likely one online and that can give you a good idea.

    Answer by missanc at 8:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

  • in my state 17% if one child if you have more than one, % goes down, do not know %
    and it very well could differ in other states, and certain circumstances
    call your lawyer

    good luck

    200 a month is extremely low did you mean 200 a week?

    Answer by fiatpax at 10:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

  • No

    Answer by Dardenella at 10:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.