Has anyone ever heard of the phrase?

I've been hearing a lot about the phrase, "The first cut is the deepest". Referring to your first love. Meaning, that break up will always hurt more than the next break ups.

...Is that necessarily true?

I mean...My sons father and I are were together for 2 years. We are no longer together, and he was my first love. I am now with another man I been with for 2 years, and he is seriously the best thing that has ever happened to me. The way I love him, I never loved before. He's been really hurt by his first love. Me, not so much because I broke it off with my ex.

Has anyone ever experienced their break up with their second love to be much harder than the break up with their first love?

Imamommy14

Asked by Imamommy14 at 11:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2013 in Relationships

• I don't think that's necessarily true. Then again, I've really only been in love 3 times. The 1st one was high school love and was only with him for 3 yrs. The 2nd was late high school and I was with him for 15 yrs. The 3rd is my current SO and really hoping this is the last.
    My 1st break up was bad and it hurt. But he cheated on me and was abusive. My 2nd break up was by far worse though as the circumstances were different. This was a divorce after 12 yrs of marriage.

Yes, my break up with my 2nd love was much harder than my break up with my 1st love.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 12:03 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• it doesn't really mean the first lost love hurts the most
    what it means is the first betrayal hurts the most
    all other betrayals hurt less because you are less in love
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:07 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• The other betrayals by the same person?
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 12:08 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• yes
    think of it like this
    the first time a lover lies to you you may be absolutely crushed
    the second time you may feel like, well, they did it before...
    kwim?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:13 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:14 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I understand now, feral.

PGA, I've heard that a lot. 1 of the biggest reasons I can NEVER go back to my ex-husband.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 12:19 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• It's different for everybody. Different relationships, different circumstances. I never completely got over the breakup of my marriage. I think it's something you always carry withyou, even if you later have fulfilling relationships.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:00 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Ive always thought there was a component of the first break up/betrayal being the hardest because you have no coping skills at that time. Future breakups there is an aspect of "I know I will survive this bc I have before", and you know what to do to help yourself grow and heal... The first one, you are lost and do not realize your own strength.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• yes
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 6:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• its a good song look it up on you tube, and its true too your first true love will break your heart when the relationship is over but you will move on and learn to love again. the song is called the first cut is the deepest by sheryl crow
    n8nnickmom

Answer by n8nnickmom at 10:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2013