• In the Spotlight:

Hmm... agree or disagree?

This year we have a million muslim March in our capital. Once again desecrating the memory of the fallen. Where are the voices of muslims that reject the violence? There aren't many.

I for one will never forget our fallen citizens. I will no longer be tolerant of people that rejoice when we are attacked. I will no longer respect a belief system that threatens death and destruction on me, my family, my friends and my fellow citizens.

How's your FB newsfeed today?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:59 AM on Sep. 11, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I have no tolerance for bigots, regardless of what house of worship they claim to use (even the ones who claim it but can't be assed to show up more than once or twice a year)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:03 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I only have one guy on my FB feed that spews this type of crap and I block his updates/feed because of it. I get so sick of hearing this stuff from people who cannot be bothered to read beyond a sound bite.

I sort of wish there was some sort of shaming law against hyperbole.

Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:09 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I haven't had any hate filled spewage this morning. Mostly just remembrance posts.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:44 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• funny- someone started talking about Syria on his post and now he's all "no more talk about violence today is a day for remembrance" lol hmm pot meet kettle.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:46 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I don't agree. I'm sure the statements apply to some people, but not a whole group of people that don't know each other. Nobody likes to be labeled and just as I don't like people assuming things about me, I don't assume that anyone is full of murderous hatred for people that aren't like them. Sadly, this phenomenon expands beyond religion. I know that there are people out there that would like to see me dead because I don't believe what they do, but I refuse to let my own insecurities make me assume who those people are.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:24 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• While i overall agree with the previous posters. What was left out of that post is that there was also an application turned in at the same time for a bike group to do a memorial ride for 9/11, and the city regetted their request and instead approved the Million muslim march. I think THAT is what has people upset. as the March doesn't have to take place on 9/11 where as a memorial ride is a specific kind of day thing.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:43 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• ***Rejected**
    tntmom1027

• I do not do FB for a very good reason.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• The Christian belief system, as I see it, doesn't advocate murder and mayhem in the name of spreading the word, either. But many extremist believers have resorted to bloodshed to make their point over the centuries. I'm sure if there had been skyscrapers and airliners in the days of the Crusades, the Christian warriors would have been more than willing to employ the 9/11 tactics. I assume the same thing is true for Islam--some fringe groups have distorted the intent and used it to further their own violent agendas. Not every Muslim is like that, not even a majority of Muslims are like that, just as most Christians aren't. Till I meet someone personally who gets in my face and spouts hatred or death threats, I refuse to put words in anyone's mouth or thoughts in anyone's head.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:21 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• "While i overall agree with the previous posters. What was left out of that post is that there was also an application turned in at the same time for a bike group to do a memorial ride for 9/11, and the city regetted their request and instead approved the Million muslim march. I think THAT is what has people upset. as the March doesn't have to take place on 9/11 where as a memorial ride is a specific kind of day thing. "

This isn't accurate though. They were simply denied a no stop permit which would have provided them with a police escort and allowed them to go through red lights.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:28 AM on Sep. 11, 2013