Is it legal for condo management to take pics of your home without your knowledge?

Here's the situation! We live in condos, and my landlord has been having an issue with the management people. Our bathtub won't drain like it should nor will our sink in the bathroom. My landlord had several plumbers come out to fix the problem but the plumbers are saying its a building issue. They can only snake the sink and bathtub so far. So the management people basically don't want to get the issue fixed and even lied and told my landlord that they had a plumber come out and it was our fault, but when she asked for a copy of the receipt, they had nothing. So now they are trying to say that our place was filthy(which is not true, the day they came by, we were spring cleaning so yes our home was in disarray) and even snuck some pics without our consent or knowledge! We just sent pics to our Landlord of how our home REALLY looks on a daily basis. but I don't understand how the condition of our home have to do with the plumbing o_O
Is it legal for them to come in our home and snap pics without us knowing??

kyheavensmom

Asked by kyheavensmom at 9:31 AM on Sep. 11, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I don't think so, not like that. If they were taking pics of the plumbing maybe but not your personal space. At least it doesn't sound like it SHOULD be legal.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I agree, my lawyer is taking care of the situation now, but I am livid because it feels like these idiots are nick picking with us because they don't want to take care of the issue. We don't cause no trouble around here, so I am confused why us?
    kyheavensmom

Comment by kyheavensmom (original poster) at 9:37 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• *my landlord not lawyer
    kyheavensmom

• Gosh, I'm not sure. That's kind of underhanded though. I would go so far as to invite your landlord to stop by at their convenience, even unannounced if they are concerned at the condition of which you keep your home. That way you won't get warning to clean because they are coming and they can feel secure in the fact that you keep an orderly house. Do you know any of your neighbors? And if so, do they have the same problem with drainage? If so, you could ask them to complain to the building management with you and your landlord.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:38 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• They were in your home with your consent. The pics are legal.
    Read your contract as to whether they can come in without your permission or knowledge.
    It depends of the sate statutes and the city's ordinance.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:43 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• @quinnmae, yes I have a neighbor on the 6 floor who said she is experiencing the same thing with her bathroom
    kyheavensmom

Comment by kyheavensmom (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• get others to complain, and I'm not sure if they can take the pics or not...but that sucks!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:00 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• How you live COULD be used to prove the plumbing is your fault. If you DID live like pigs, they could use the pictures to show that you don't take care of anything, so the plumbing issue might be your fault. But it sounds like you've already proven to your landlord that those photos were not representative of how you live from day to day, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

As far as whether they can take those photos...that's iffy. You did give them consent to come in, so it's possible that it's legal. But as a person who prefers their privacy, I tend to feel (feel, not necessarily know that it's legal) that just because I invite you into my home does not give you permission to take pictures of my home, my kids, or me.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:01 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Okay, thanks ladies for everything....everything you all said were helpful!
    kyheavensmom

Comment by kyheavensmom (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I'm glad you are consulting an attorney. If taking pictures like that isn't illegal, it ought to be.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:59 AM on Sep. 11, 2013