Happy Hump Day vs Never Forget

Is there a defined etiquette for 9/11 yet? Has it gone the way of Memorial Day (something people think of as a day off rather than anything of significance?) Should it be given the same amount of reverence as Veteran's Day (or more)?

I thought today's thought bubbles were an interesting mix.  Is Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Remembrance (was it really necessary to change the name last year, btw?) losing it's importance?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:27 AM on Sep. 11, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• You get the day off?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:34 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• eye rolling

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• It has always struck me that the remembrances/memorials for September 11th have been so disjointed. The first couple of years after the attacks there seemed to be more acknowledgement of the day and how it affected individuals and country alike. Now it seems that you have a few sporadic ceremonies here and there but, collectively, there doesn't appear to be any cohesiveness.

It's weird, when you think about it. Pearl Harbor day seems to get more deliberate coverage. I'd be interested in delving more into the "why" of this.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:40 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Pearl Harbor day seems to get more deliberate coverage. I'd be interested in delving more into the "why" of this.

In some ways I think Pearl Harbor is easier - it's not subverted into an anti-Japanese soapbox. It could also be we'll not see the "real" remembrance day 9/11 needs to be until people let go of the hate.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Granted, my hands were full with personal stuff yesterday, but I was surprised and ashamed last night when I realized that I hadn't even thought of 9/11 this year till there was something on my Internet homepage. I don't want the day to lose its importance; I don't hate the perpetrators, but I don't want to forget. I think those explosions did more damage to this country than anyone would have ever dreamed they could have.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:46 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I think it's important especially since this event happened in my lifetime. It's significant to me because I live in NY not far from Ground Zero. Actually close enough to smell it when it happened for days. I know people who were killed that day. Many passed me in my Car on the Expressway in Rescue Vehicles on their way to help only to die in the second tower. I worked for the Sheriffs Dept during that time & many of my friends/coworkers were there for the clean up & now are very ill from the result of the exposure to the debris. Many I know have died as a result. It's as clear to me today as the day it happened. Therefore I feel that we should observe it in moments of silence not necessarily as a Holiday. Like the quote "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." by George Santayana (philosopher, essayist, poet and novelist).
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:59 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• "In some ways I think Pearl Harbor is easier - it's not subverted into an anti-Japanese soapbox"

That's a good point, mainly because I suspect there was a LOT of anti Japanese soapboxing going on in the early years after the attack. I'm not talking about immediately after, with the internment and all but even after the war. I wonder how long it was before it became about the day and not about the perpetrators.

" I think those explosions did more damage to this country than anyone would have ever dreamed they could have."

Of course they did because they removed the veil of presumed national innocence. Many countries have been dealing with terrorism for decades. This was the first time we ever had to and it was a shock to the national psyche.

" It's as clear to me today as the day it happened."

Same here and I didn't even know anyone directly involved.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Sadly there are so many young ones who don't even know or have an inkling of how this day in history has affected the last 12 years. My children have never lived in a world without this war in Iraq/Afghanistan, my 16 year old brother was only 4, so he never understood the significance. People are so wrapped up in their own lives that they don't think about it anymore. Every September I start to think about it. I was only 15 at the time, I lived on the opposite side of the country, didn't know anyone who died, but it is so important to remember, to never forget. I remember it not even really sinking in until my teachers rolled in the TVs and we watched news coverage all day in class.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:38 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I live in a community of several WWII vets... No one forgets 9/11 here and at breakfast this morning they demanded to know why our flag hasn't been lowered to half staff. It is now...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• im not really able to form my thoughts about this into a coherent sentence at the moment. ive erased what im trying to say 3 times already. maybe i'll try again later.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 11, 2013