My husband is going to work out of state. I have 3 kids 8, 9, & 16. I work till sometimes 6pm and my 16 year old is in sports and works. Is it wrong for me to want to quit my job to be there for them?

mimzy406

Asked by mimzy406 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 11, 2013 in General Parenting

• If you can make it on just his income then it isn't a problem. Or you could look for a part-time job while the kids are in school and still be there when they get home.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• My Hubby's away a month at a time, so we've agreed that I stay home. We can afford it, so it was a no brainer for us....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Not if you can still make ends meet with your husband's income. Budget wisely.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:50 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Do they have after care at the school? I would sign them up for that and if it ends before 6 just explain to your boss that you have to go pick them up before, you said sometimes you work until 6, is that what you are expected to do, or is it just because you need to get caught up?
    If they don't have aftercare, ask another mother to take them home with her for some extra cash. How long is the job going to last out of state? You don't want to quit and then have him have no job if something happens.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• IMO
    Yes it is.. Keep things as much the same as they were before he went to work away from home.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:50 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• No, but can you afford to run two households without working?

* my husband lft on Sunday to live and work in Utah - fortunately, he will get enough from relo and his 401k and what he makes, for us to do it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• He doesn't pay for anything while over there. My worry is that I have no daycare. He always got the kids from school. I had to call in to work for two days cause my daughter had the flu. I guess I'm just stressed out.
    mimzy406

Comment by mimzy406 (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Wrong, no. It's how you feel. Feasible, only you and your husband can figure that out.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:55 AM on Sep. 11, 2013

• It's not wrong to feel that way. The question is: can you afford to do it? If, financially, it's not an option, then don't do it. Look into daycare alternatives. Maybe the school(s) have an after care program you can put the kids in until you or your 16 yr old can pick them up. Maybe you have a friend who can pick them up from school, or one of the kids friends parents can pick them up for you for a few bucks a week.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• You are stressed, but are your kids? Keeping your "same as always" routine is more beneficial to them.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2013