Do you feel that children in split classes get the same attention as a regular classroom? Or are they being deprived of adequate instructional time?

My daughter's in a split 1st - 2nd grade class. The teacher taught like 4th or 5th grade before she's never taught 1st grade before. This is my concern,,, that school is from 9:15 to 3:25, you get about an hour for lunch & recess time, and then about 25+ minutes for music, p.e. or library. By the time you take that into consideration, the school day goes from 6 hours 10 minutes to just over 4.5 hours. Don'f for get that she has a split class so she has to teach the 2nd graders their stuff and then the 1st graders theirs or vice versa. I've already expressed my concerns with them but it doesn't seem like their looking for a new 1 grader teacher or even an assistant for the one that they already have. At least with an assistant they can combine all of the 1st graders into on classroom and they all receive the same quality of education.
Or am I thinking too much about it and just keep picking up the slack from what the teachers not doing like I am doing already?

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow. I have never heard of split classes. Is it because of lower enrollment? How many children are in the class total? There is no lack of Teachers so it's lack of funding I guess. Is there a way to set up a volunteer team of Mom's/Dad's that are willing to devote a few hours a day to help out the Teacher? I guess that's all that can be done unless you pay for private School?? I understand your concern.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:09 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• have you considered volunteering?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:09 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• My son did pretty well in a split class...if I remember right, it was a 2nd/3rd grad class
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Originally the 1st grade class had like 40-45 kids. So the principal decided it would be best to take out 8 and put them in a separate class. When they first explained it they took the top readers of the class but then later I found out that was a fib. Not at this time I cant but there are a parent or 2 that do have the time during the day that do volunteer there plus they have other volunteers around the school. I can't afford putting 1 let alone 2 in private school. I don't want to keep being one of those complaining people I just want my daughter to receive a quality education. And the teacher having the attitude that they'll (her & the 1st graders) learn together isn't making me feel any better.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• My kids were always in a split class. Now the class size was fairly small, with about 17 kids usually. But they did very well. They could excel in things they were good at, and other kids helped them when they struggled if the teacher was occupied. Peer mentoring can be a very good thing. Plus the teacher checked in with each child invidually to make sure they understood new concepts and weren't being left behind. So I think they got more individualized attention. I guess it would depend on the overall size of the class to determine how I felt about this.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I think a split class is no big deal. My son was in a 2/3 split class for 2nd and 3rd grades, with the same teacher both years. There was nothing at all lacking in his education. He even started learning cursive in 2nd grade instead of 3rd when they're supposed to learn it.

As long as she's following along and keeping up I wouldn't let it bother me.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I'll try and give it until the first report card and then go from there. Thanks
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• *grade
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• It depends on the teacher.
    This is the way it worked for my son in 3rd/ 4th.
    He did well. The children in the split class should be on the slightly more advance end of the class in the lower
    and possibly in the higher. But It works well for those that struggled a bit in certain areas to hear the refreshers and possibly help teach the younger students.
    Unless you see signs that it is not working out, I would not worry. You could always volunteer to help out and see for yourself.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• When they had split classes at the school my kids went to, it was usually the top kids in the lower grade combined with the kids who struggled in the higher grade. That way, the lower grade kids were getting exposure to higher level things but they were advanced enough to be able to be prepared and understand it, and the kids that had struggled through that grade the year before but weren't quite needing to be held back got refreshers on things they'd struggled with while still moving on. It seemed to work pretty well, although I wasn't impressed with the school overall, so that's not saying much. lol

If you feel that her education is really suffering, I would go to the school and talk to them about it. But I'd also consider whether or not a new class would really be all that much different - there will still be kids behind and ahead, so she could still end up caught in the middle as the teacher tries to work w/ all of them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2013