Any ideas to comfort my 7 year old with his school anxiety?

My son has always been anxious and struggles socially. He is having a really hard time adjusting to full day school. Last year he got on the bus at 830 and got home at 1140. This year he doesn't get home until 340. He cries and begs me to stay home. He says he likes school but misses me and the day is too long. Any ideas to help him in this transition. I"m hoping he adjusts fast because it breaks my heart.

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I understand completely but the good news is that he will adjust.
    If you send lunch with him, you might try sending a little note telling him how proud you are of him.
    or a joke, or a smiley face. I used pot it notes on sandwiches of containers.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Give him a family photo to put inside or tape on top of his pencil box!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• This may sound silly but when my daughter had issues of being away from me, I put a kiss into her hand.
    If you do this kind of thing, I would suggest you dolt to the nondominant hand and be sure you give the teacher a heads up so that she does not think he is making a fist (threatening) or has some other issue.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• The Kissing Hand

My daughter's class read this book in both preschool and kindergarten. Then she came home with a paper hand that we had to decorate with comforting reminders of home. Once she brought it back to school, it was laminated and stuck into the back of her cubby where she hung her coat/backpack. If the kids were feeling a little homesick, they could go look at their hand.

Maybe suggest this book and project to his teacher as something for the class to do. I bet there's more than one kid having a hard time adjusting.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Do you have a picture that you could send with him? Or a favorite book?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• What about something he can touch that's a special gift from you? A rabbit's foot to put in his pocket or clip to a belt loop, something he can actually feel in his hands that makes him think of you and reminds him you are thinking of him as well.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:28 AM on Sep. 12, 2013