Chicken in the crock pot?

Is it safe? Does it pose a risk for food poisining?

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 2:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I may be the one who said not to put chicken in the crockpot frozen. My son and I took a cooking class together, and the nutritionist who taught the class said never put frozen chicken (or other meat) in the slow cooker because it spends too much time at an unsafe temperature. It doesn't mean every time you do it someone will get sick, just that you greatly increase the risk, and food poisoning is no fun!

I later e-mailed Crockpot directly and asked about it, and they said they DO NOT recommend putting frozen meat in the crockpot both for health reasons, and because putting frozen food in the crockpot and turning it on can cause it to crack.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:18 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• I cook chicken in the crock pot all the time. I just never put it in frozen
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Uh oh. I put frozen chicken in the crock pot ALL the time. Literally a couple times a week for at least a year. No one has ever gotten sick from it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:16 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I cook it all the time on the CP. I use to put it in frozen, but someone on here told me that's a big no no.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 3:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Just don't put it in frozen and it's fine. While it CAN be fine, you won't ALWAYS get food poisoning from it, it's just not safe. It doesn't reach a safe enough temperature in order to prevent food borne bacteria growth.

Chicken is an extremely common item in the crockpot, no matter what kind it is - whole, boneless, pieces.

We're having chicken in the crockpot tonight.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I cook chicken thawed out and frozen. In the crock pot all the time. We have never gotten sick.

Answer by louise2 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I use frozen chicken a lot in my crock pot. Have for years.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• why wouldn't it be safe?

I've never had a problem with it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:09 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• So basically as long as I don't put it in frozen?

@charlotsomtimes- I just heard that you shouldn't slow cook chicken,, i'm a freak about food poisoning
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• As long as it reaches an internal temp of 165, it's fine. Invest in a good meat thermometer!

Answer by missanc at 3:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2013