Happy spitter ???

My baby turned 3 months old today and she is exclusively breastfed, she has always spit up a little , but its not a violent spit up and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. When she nursing sometimes shell get fussy and I burp her and then she's fine and goes back to eating. My husband and I joke about it saying How can she be so chunky if she spits up so much ( she has gained 12lbs since birth) . I don't think its reflux because she's been gaining weight and isn't in pain or fussy. This week it seems a little excessive though I've gone through so many bibs receiving blankets t shirt for me and her. Is there anything I can do ? Also she hardly ever spits up at night when we are in bed but during the day its almost every feeding and even any where from 30 to 60 mins after. My milk comes out pretty powerful as well especially my let down. How long does the spit up stage last?

Cherriemama831

Asked by Cherriemama831 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 2nd son spit up at least a little after every feeding until he was almost a year old.

Answer by missanc at 3:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I think with a forceful letdown babies tend to gulp more to keep up and by default, they gulp more air, too. I found that nursing in the side-lying position really helped my baby (not so much because of spitting up, but because of her continual unlatching & re-latching while nursing, and her "clicking" latch, all of which was her way of coping with & working around a powerful flow that was a little overwhelming to her.) Lying down, she tended to do less "compensating" and just let any extra/excess milk run out the side of her mouth, so her latch wasn't so off & on.
    I don't know that I would have resorted to nursing lying down for most feedings (which is what we did, for a period of months!) if it hadn't been for the discomfort of her clicking on & off repeatedly while nursing. But if you are in a bad spot with spitting up that seems "excessive" to you than it is worth a try some of the time at home. See if it helps at all.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 4:41 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Maybe make sure she is upright for awhile after feeding, but both my babies spit up until they could crawl and move around on their own (7-8 months). They were happy, healthy babies.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• What girlwithC said
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Sounds like you have a bit of oversupply and fast letdown. This article should help: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

Answer by gdiamante at 11:41 PM on Sep. 11, 2013