Ok...so I broke down and took my daughter to the doctor.

They put her on amoxil for pharyngitis. She tested negative for strep, but doesn't have the symptoms of the flu that is going around and it seems to be getting progressively worse. So, my question is, she has been on antibiotics for 3 doses now. Shouldn't I notice improvement? She is still coughing quite a bit. She is throwing up phlegm. Poor thing. Anyway....just curious..

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 3:23 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• No, it can take longer for antibiotics to work.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Antibiotics usually take a while to kick in . Increase her fluid intake to thin out the mucus and help it come easily and decrease dairy products it increases mucus. Hope she feels better.
    Briklin

Answer by Briklin at 6:05 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It can take a while. Remember, there are a LOT of bugs to kill.

And remember, use the medicine just as described. If she seems happy and healthy in a few days, keep taking the meds! One of the main causes of the "super bugs" is dumb parents who don't feel like fighting to get the meds down a child's throat, want to "save" some in case someone else in the family gets sick (a federal offense by the way) or who are simply too lazy to keep doing it once the child seems somewhat recovered. Use the meds just as prescribed and for just as long as prescribed. Doing anything else is a health hazard to your child, yourself, and everyone around you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I so agree with kaycee14 with regards to keep taking the meds and the whole super bug thing.

Also pharyngitis is a fancy word for "sore throat" and if she does not have strep then she may have never needed antibiotics in the first place. A lot of sore throats are viral and you just need to ride it out. Not sure her symptoms, but cough and phlegm sound more like a virus.

At this point like the pp said just give her the meds like prescribed.

For us here I love warm chicken soup for a cold/sore throat. Maybe that would be a good comfort food for her.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 1:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• there is a cold with these symptoms going around. just be very careful with antibiotics. if you don't notice improvement with in a few days take her back
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 10:01 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• You do need to complete the A?B since you started it. But chances are they only put her on AB for CYA purposes. When strep comes back negative the sore throat is Viral and so the antibiotics won't work.
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I hope your daughter gets over this illness - I want you to consider this - to build her immune system.

my kids were always sick - this year they are less sick. I give them 1 oz of bb - a whole food liquid organic supplement. Endorced by over 6000 doctors - I haven't had to give them breathing treatments in 9 + months and my middle son suffered from chronic diahrea since he was 1 1/2 and he has gained 2 lbs in 3 mon. and is 95% better.

my web-site www.Healthy4body.com I give them 1 oz a day. there is also a live doctors call every thursday night - I can give you that information as well just pm me.

I also had 15 years of abnormal paps - I just got a normal one. I have been taking 4 oz for 11 mo.

Sandy
    nma928

Answer by nma928 at 12:51 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Well, I guess I didn't post enough information. She has been sick for two months. This is not a viral infection. It is getting better and the doctor was going on other information as well that is why she was on antibiotics. I was not asking about that. I just wanted to know how soon they would work. Thanks all for your input! I definitely will give her all of them.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:01 AM on Feb. 21, 2009