My son is 10 years old and has developed an aversion to bathing, is this normal?

My son has ASD, ADHD, ODD. He has had several sensory issues through the years. Bathing has never been his favorite passtime but lately he just doesn't want to do it at any cost. When asked why he won't take a bath he simply states he doesn't like the water. It's always either too hot or too cold, no matter what the temperature he screams like a maniac when my husband has to forcibly bath him because it is not an option. Is there anyone who has had this problem and if so could you make any suggestions to help us please.

alialicea

Asked by alialicea at 7:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2013 in General Parenting

• bump

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Why not let HIM control the temperature in a shower?

My son will be 10 in a month, has Asperger's and ADHD, and HATES the rain falling on him, but will take a 45 minute shower.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• We DO let him control the temperature but he can't find one that is tolerable so we try to help and it doesn't matter.
    alialicea

Comment by alialicea (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Rewards for a short shower. My 12 year old hates it, but he will take a shower no more than five minutes if he gets a fruit roll up afterwards. If I can think of anything else I will let you know. Right now all I can say is reward for compliance and keep it as short as possible.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• My 15 yr. old still grumbles about taking showers. I figure I'll know exactly when he is interested in dating because then he'll willingly shower.

I think some kids just hate showers.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Mine is 14 with Asperger's, and he hates taking showers. It's a trial every single morning. And he used to love taking baths. Unfortunately he's grown too tall to fit comfortably in the bathtub.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:25 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• My stepson, who has Asperger's, went through that. He did outgrow it. When it was at its worst, we kept baby wipes around so he could at least freshen up between showers.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:05 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• My oldest is 5 and loves to be clean but HATES to shower! He screams and throws a fit a bath time. I think its just a normal boy thing.
    Pay920

Answer by Pay920 at 3:35 AM on Sep. 15, 2013