Did you do anything today for 9/11 National Day of Service and Remembrance?

http://www.911day.org/

I tried to organize a big community project for today, however, it was a complete flop. I was able to participate though and I enjoyed it. 

Did you do anything special today whether it was volunteer, a good deed, or just smile at someone you didn't know?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 7:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2013 in Just for Fun

• We did, our school put out over 300 flags in our neighborhood, with a note that said please take a moment to remember this day and all who lost their lives, and all who have given it for our freedom.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I guess I'm a wimp. I prefer to remember in silence. I can't take part in ceremonies or watch old footage. It's just too sad for me & takes me right back to how I felt the day it all happened. I think what you tried to do is great tho. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Thanks, mrsmom. It wasn't anything spectacular. I tried to get volunteers to read to a classroom today. Out of the whole community, only 9 people participated.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Out of the whole community, only 9 people participated.
    JeremysMom Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) a minute ago

^^^That's OK, it's the 1st year right? Maybe next year you will get more. If not, hopefully the same 9 show up. People work & you have people like me who can't deal with it publically. Your heart was in the right place & that's what matters. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Every year, for the past 3, I have volunteered at the Stair Climb and did so again this year (this is my 4th time). It's held at Red Rocks amphitheater.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 8:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I, like mrsmom, have a really hard time watching footage or even talking about that day without getting choked up or feeling like I'm going to break down in tears. Watching footage of the towers that day and knowing that so many were facing certain death is just still a little too much for me to talk about.

Over the summer break we visited the G.W.Bush presidential library and they have a huge exhibit of the attack and video footage of media and the burning towers as well as the pentagon crash and the Pennsylvania crash site. It played over and over again which was very difficult for me to get through.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I did absolutely nothing. I prefer to not remember the day my friend called me screaming because he couldn't find his mom, they never found her only pieces of her. I'm good I don't want to participate in the rehashing of events that took my friends mom .
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I worked. But it was in my thoughts all day. :(
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I didn't. The only thing I did, I guess, was just about get into a stupid argument with someone, but then it came into my mind that with what this day was and the awful things that had happened twelve years ago, it really wasn't worth bickering over something pointless. So I said as much, and the other person agreed, much to my surprise. Hardly public service, but I guess it was a remembrance in a backhanded way.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:01 AM on Sep. 12, 2013