My 8th grade DGS going to Duke University for three weeks, need thoughts.

So my DGS took some test and score in the 99th percentile in math.
I am supposed to get a letter inviting him to Duke University for 3 weeks to study math at the college, this summer when he will have just finished his 7th grade.
It will cost $2,000.00 for him, not including travel.
Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? If so will you share your experience or thoughts.
I will be honest, it will be an ouch to pay it, and it will be us not mom or dad, because there is no way that they could even afford half of that.
Even if you have no experience to share, would you bite the bullet and get him down there? Would you only do it if you took him and stayed in a hotel and brought him back?
Thanks,
I am supposed to get the letter next week.

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 9:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would send my kid in a heart beat and not even think twice about it.
    See if they have a TRio office that can help defray costs
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:58 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I would send my son.

My coworker's niece went to Europe with her class and she did fundraising to help cover some of the expenses.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I was in the TIP program in school as is my son. He has been invited to numerous classes at Duke, but due to cost we have declined (and we live in Raleigh NC). To me it's just not worth it and serves no purpose. My son is now taking geometry in 8th grade and doing well. I see no reason to push him further.

Answer by missanc at 10:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I would do whatever I could to make sure he could go. This could lead to scholarships for college. I would also have his parents contribute what they can.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Maybe there are scholarships available; it wouldn't hurt to check. How does the boy feel about going? What does he want to do when he finishes high school? If he's really chomping at the bit, it would be worth doing, but not so much if he's lukewarm about it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:29 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• It's a great opportunity, but I would be traveling with him at that age.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:07 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• He seems pretty excited but. I so need the rest of the info. I will update as soon as I know something.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2013