Juggling too much at once!

I am a full time working mom and a wife. My son is only 3 years old and I try to cherish every single moment I have with him. Lately I have been struggling with juggling school, work, and spending time with my family. I have weeks where I spend every extra second I have getting my school work done and don't have any time for my son or husband and then I have weeks where I just want to spend time with my family so I will put off school and risk a bad grade. I just need some support on how to juggle everything. I feel like I always have to sacrifice something. I wish I could just go down to part time so I could have more time to myself for school work while my son is at daycare but we struggle financially and that wouldn't be realistic for us. I don't want to miss out on my son's childhood, but I HAVE to get my degree if I want to make it anywhere in life these days. UGH! I am sooooo stressed out!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2013 in General Parenting

• can you maybe take less classes and get the diploma at a little bit of a slower rate.. that way you can balance thing a bit better?
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 10:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I know exactly how you feel. I worked full time, went to school full time, and did an internship when my son was that age. I hated it and I honestly feel like I don't remember much about that time in my son's life. I didn't juggle it well and I eventually had to quit. I am back in school and while I am still trying to juggle work, school, family, I am finding it much easier to do know that my son is older. I am not suggesting that you put it off. What is your major? Are you going to school online or in class? Is it possible to go to school part time?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Do you schedule everything?
    Meaning work 7-3
    dinner & family time 4-8
    study time 8-11
    or some variation on this? Or do you get stuck watching a tv show or get lost online before you make dinner, realize it's 7, and then rush around to run out for food, whip something up, eat, and get kids to bed an hour too late?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:14 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I am doing full time because I can be done sooner instead of dragging it out even longer. I work 8-5 Monday-Friday so I am lucky to have a set schedule! My son goes to bed around 8 or 8:30 and then I will spend the night working on school. My brain is so drained though from work that it is so hard to focus at night time. On the weekends as soon as I wake up I get online (I am taking online classes) and work on school before my son wakes up. I feel like no matter how much I time manage I still don't have enough time. And when I am not working on school work I am still constantly thinking about it, even when I am spending time with my son.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• I would give up school. The time with the children goes so fast and school will always be there.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• This is a dilemma and you have to weigh it out
    You can not quit or reduce you hours. That is simply not on the table for you right now

So with travel etc you have to strike 10 hours out of 5 of those days.
    You have to cook and do a little cleaning so say 2 hours more.
    8 of those hours need to be sleeping or fooling around .
    So you have 4 hours a day to be with your son and do school, realistically.
    Leave the weekends a lone for a bit because they are not ordinary days.

You have a though schedule on one hand
    Stressed and feeling like you are not doing your best for your child
    you husband, you job or yourself But
    You graduate sooner (In a year?)
    Possibility of better job and better pay,

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:40 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• On the other hand you take fewer classes and have a little more time for all the aspects of your life.
    You continue working but maybe you are more alert and responsible and you get a small raise.
    You graduate later ( A years and a half to two years?) With a better rep at you current job.
    Better grades
    and a happier family
    And maybe get a better paying job or a better position in the current company.

There is no easy way but sometimes you need to step back to go forward.
    I wish you luck. You are not alone.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:44 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• I would take fewer classes. Yes, it will take longer to graduate. That's OK. The job market is still working on a comeback. Better to graduate into a good market instead of a so-so market. Check out this story from today's Marketplace: http://www.marketplace.org/topics/economy/after-lehman/graduating-lost-generation

Answer by gdiamante at 1:54 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Could you hit the brakes on school a bit, maybe take fewer classes, just till your son is old enough to go to first grade? That will ease up your daycare costs if he's in school during the day, and then you might be able to work part-time. It's hard, but seriously, a few years out of your life is nothing in the grand scheme of things, and your little boy won't be little very long.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:25 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• I would take fewer classes, first of all. It'll take longer to graduate, but I don't think the earlier graduation date will make up for all the stress, and for the things you feel you are missing out on.

Then, with what classes you have left, I'd try maybe getting some studying done on your lunch break at work, if that's an option. Study after your son is in bed, and maybe block out some time where your son can be doing something with his father or grandparents so you can study - when I went to school for phlebotomy years ago, my parents would take my kids and go do something fun on Sunday afternoons so I had 4 uninterrupted hours to study. I got more done and more effectively during those 4 hours than all the rest of the time combined.

Good luck!
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:23 AM on Sep. 12, 2013