Latching problems and supply problems.

I am losing my milk supply and I can't get my son to latch on because of nipple preference.
What can I do to help get my milk back an how can I help my son latch on?

RoseDryer

Asked by RoseDryer at 10:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Unless your baby is special needs,move this to the babies category

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• They should have discussed this with your after delivery.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Actually, not at all surprising no one discussed this with you after delivery. Too many hospitals don't properly support breastfeeding.

Please drop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group; lots of moms ready to help!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• http://www.llli.org/. Sorry I can't make it clicky. That's the web address for Le Leche League.

As for supply, some women have luck with taking fenugreek. Also, putting baby to breast as often as possible is the best way to increase supply, but definitely speak with a lactation consultant to fix the latch problem.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:08 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Talk with a lactation consultant about a supplemental nursing system and to help you with the latch.

Answer by missanc at 12:13 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Why is he not latching? The cause is more important than nipple preference. Do you nipples seem flat? They should ideally be shaped more or less like the better brands of nipples for bottles. If not he may actually not be able to get it positioned in he mouth to be able to get the milk. His mouth need to be behind the dark circle of your nipples or the flow is blocked If he can't empty the reserve of milk you body sends a signal saying you do not need to produce as much. This may be the case only with one breast as well.
    So my first suggestion is to get a breast pump and start expressing that milk and use it in a bottle if necessary to feed him.
    The next thing I would do is to get a lactation specialist to help you. You should have had one in the hospital.
    Let's say that flat nipples or even inverted nipples are the problem. Go to th store and buy a regular rubber nipple for a bottle.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:02 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Wash it of course. Now when you are ready to feed you place the nipple over your own securely and have you son suck on the rubber nipple. The suction will seal it around your skin so make sure this happens. It will take a little trial and error. The milk should flow through the nipple into his mouth. This will actually help to train the nipple into the right form. How long that will take is an individual thing.
    You son is probably deeply frustrated on the side he does not like because he is getting nothing. This is another "trick" you have the nipple in place and baby in place. use and eye dropper with the milk you expressed and trickle it down into his mouth as he suck on the nipple. You can use a little formula as well.
    Remember the law of supply and demand. The more milk that is demand, by the baby or the pump, the more milk will be supplied.
    You can also contact Le Leche League
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:10 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• The lactation specialist at the hospital said I have very good nipples for breastfeeding. I had an emergency c-section and didn't get to even see my son till he was 2 hours old due to fluid in his lungs. We could only visit him and they fed him formula because they said it was for the best for me since I was extremely drugged. I tried to breastfeed him every day that I was there (which was 3 days) and he just couldn't latch. We got him to latch only one time to feed at the hospital and twice when I was finally home.
    RoseDryer

Comment by RoseDryer (original poster) at 1:31 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Rose, find an Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant for hands on help. Looks like he's very very new; less than three weeks?

In the meantime this might help: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Also drop by here: http://www.cafemom.com/group/325

Answer by gdiamante at 1:47 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• He is actually a month today.
    RoseDryer

Comment by RoseDryer (original poster) at 1:55 AM on Sep. 12, 2013