how do I get my eight year old daughter who is underwieght to eat??????

She was born with a hole in her palate. So she had a stomach tube until she was 4yrs old. We have struggled with the not eating enough for years. She now weighs 39.5 pounds and is eight yrs old can you please help me.

kperkins69

Asked by kperkins69 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This is something your doctor should be monitoring closely. They may have to retube her if she continues to fail to thrive. What does your doctor say about her weight?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Pediasure the drink but she will not even drink that. Sometimes she will eat good but most of the time it is a fight. We have told her that she is going to be sick but nothing seems to make a difference.
    kperkins69

Comment by kperkins69 (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Your doctor tells you to give her pediasure?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• She continues to show a growth. So he does not seem to be too worried. Retubing is not something I want to go through again unless a last resort. I just want to find some foods that will spark her to eat .
    kperkins69

Comment by kperkins69 (original poster) at 10:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Find one food she LOVES and feed her that. Then gradually introduce more foods or puree them into it if she's not eating a lot of really solid stuff.
    She WILL eat when she's hungry. No 8 year old has that kind of willpower.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• What will she eat?

Also, try really hard not to make it a show of wills. So as little emotion as possible at meal times.

I went through this exact issue with my granddaughter when I was caring for her. She developed a choking phobia after her father returned to Iceland (emotionally traumatic) and she absolutely could not bring herself to eat anything solid at all. Even baby food frightened her so much that she couldn't try it. We did end up in counseling and I worked closely with her doctors and teacher and eventually it passed but what I learned is that you have to approach food with no begging, no threats, no tears....nothing. Take the power away from the food and she'll be more likely to start eating on her own
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• Try Breakfast Essentials powder in whole milk

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2013

• How tall is she?
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 3:40 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• My son Archer is the pickiest eater, his brothers eat anything but not Archer, We tried pediasure, he spit it at us, I even tried bribing him with ice cream, doughnuts anything I could think of to get him to EAT something, Finally my husband and I just served him what we fed the other two and said he wasn't getting anything else. He didn't eat dinner for a few days and just stocked up on his snacks during the day but after about a week he just started eating what we gave him. He is now a pretty good eater, minus just little things that any normal 5 year old wouldn't like to eat.
    Pay920

Answer by Pay920 at 3:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2013