Do you tell your children to "shut up"

I can not stand it when my twin sister tells my nephews to shut up. I do not use that phrase. It's either Hush or be quiet. NEVER SHUT UP. It's the rudest thing you can say to your kids. I have asked her to stop but she says that they are her kids and she will raise them as she sees fit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's not really your place to tell her. I don't say that to my daughter, and if I say it to my hubby it's jokingly said. I do say be quiet a lot. I think that be quiet can be just a bad, depending on the tone of your voice. I am guilty of getting very frustrated with my daughter. She has a speech delay, and so she is very very whiny, and I just can't take it sometimes. So I do occasionally yell at her to stop whining. I feel really bad afterwards, but I think that is just as bad if not worse than telling a kid to shut up without yelling.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:39 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Yes. I do. I would like to say it to more people as well, but they might slug me. :)
    You must have young kids. I once was just like that. But as my kids get older....SHUT UP sometimes is the only way to get them to SHUT UP. And just for the record...not to be mean, but honestly, if my sisters said that to me, I would have told them to shut up too.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:39 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I have used it to send the point across. DD is stubborn and keeps talking even when I ask her to stop whether it be complaining or whining. "Just shut up, PLEASE!" is how it comes out. Not good, I know but being a parent is hard soemtimes ya know?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• there is probaley more moms that do say it then don't i say it but not in a god awful screaming voice i think its just really not a bad thing,they are her kids and its her rite as a mother and American to say what she wants.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i am guilty but my girls laugh at me when i tell them to shut up
    sauna26

Answer by sauna26 at 3:45 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• as others have said her kids her choice in how she says it, if you dont have kids you really cant tell her what to do she's their mom and i'm not trying to be rude but i have 3 and i tell ya it's hard to focuse at times especially when they are arguing, yelling and scream while i'm driving on the highway, or let out a yell from you know where while your driving in heavy traffic and scare you have to death! and sometimes telling your kids to
    sweetangles

Answer by sweetangles at 3:51 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• as someone said earlier those are her kids and if you dont live in the house and deal what those kids day in and day out the pressure could get tense after a while does'nt mean she is a bad mom by saying that to them sometimes you get so fustrated that you cant find any other words at that moment to say to get them to get quiet right at that moment. not trying to be rude i understand your concern, when i did not have kids i would have thought the same thing and at times i did! but now that i have my own i tell ya! take mine to the store and they act like they are at a football game and it is open season!
    sweetangles

Answer by sweetangles at 3:59 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It is funny when you suddenly pull your car over to the side of the road and turn it off. Then you tell your kids that the noise made the car stop. (Truth, the noise did make mom stop the car.) Then you tell them if they can be quieter you might be able to get the car going again. :) I have only done that once in my life. My sister in law and her kids were with us and it was getting crazy in the van. I pulled over and sat quietly until everyone asked what was the matter. I told them the car can't go because of the noise. My sil thought I was a genious. I simply had a headache. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 4:00 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I told my son to shut up once, years ago, and he still remembers. Obviously it has an impact but if you don't want your kids to say it then you shouldn't either, not even if they DO say it. You should live what you tell them, otherwise they see you as a hypocrite (they lose respect) and don't take you seriously in other areas. If you can't live by what you say how serious can you be?
    Kris1956

Answer by Kris1956 at 4:32 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I'm more of a "do what I say, not what I do" kind of mom.

In our house, being an adult means you get to do all kinds of cool (and not-so-cool) stuff. I can drive, I can vote, I can pay bills, I can swear and I can say "shut up". Our children can do none of those things.

With great power comes great responsibility. Do I use my "shut up" lightly? No. But I do not limit myself to my child's capabilities. That's one of the wonderful things about being 41.

(And, to the OP - wow. If I tried to boss my sister around with how she raises her kids - YIKES. If she asks for my advice I give it. But otherwise (and lucky for me, she rocks) I would stay out of it.)
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 5:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2009