one sport for another

My daughter joined the volleyball team, we bought her what she needed, a parent bought her shorts and the coach bought all the girl socks. Now she wants to quit 2 games into it and only 4 game to go.. her dad is really upset about it. And said he won't support or help pay for the second sport. I'm caught in middle. What do

Tinajo20g

Asked by Tinajo20g at 1:45 AM on Sep. 12, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• She might not even be able to GET onto another team. With only four games left, I'd tell her she needs to finish.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:49 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Our rule was that you finish out what you start. If you no longer want to do (whatever the activity/class) at the end of the season. You do not have to but you will see it through because you gave your word and that is worth keeping., the best way you know how.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:49 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Finish what you start.
    Unless there is a legit reason to quit, like she fails classes (don't tell her that, she'll do it on purpose!), has an injury, etc. Not cause she doesn't like it or she 's not good at it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:51 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• I agree; finish what you start. Only four games left, come on. She can always try a different sport later, but keeping her commitments to teammates is important.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:46 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• She needs to finish what she started. This is a good life lesson for her.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:11 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• With only 4 games left, I'd make her finish. If there was a whole season (they played 2 and had 6 more months of games, for example), I'd probably let her quit, because being forced to do something that you really don't want to do like that only inspires hatred for the activity as well as creating resentment toward you, the parent. But, even in that situation, I would only let her quit with the understanding that if she signs up for another activity, she WILL finish so she had better be sure she wants to be involved in it.

Make her finish out this season, and tell her to choose more carefully in the future whens he wants to get involved in an activity.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:01 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• I'd say, she needs to finish these games and THEN if she never wants to do it again, that's fine
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:45 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• My mom made me take piano from age 5 to age 16.

She can finish four games.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:54 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Nope. Not in my house. She committed to this team. She can continue to play until the season is done, and THEN she can quit. In my house, if you make a commitment to something, you stay with it until the season is over. Then, if you decide you don't like the sport, you don't have to sign up for it again.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:08 AM on Sep. 12, 2013