Ugh. I wandered into another "where do Atheist's get their morals from,if not from God?" debate

So what,before their church teachings, they were running the streets killing and stealing everything in sight?
Someone mentioned in a thread on FB that morals have gone out the window ever since people stopped going to church. I had to mention that morals are not always based on a holy book,but by what makes a society run more smoothly
I get a kick out of this guy. He has no idea of what Atheism entails,but yet he feels that he can judge me for it. I'm waiting for this to wander into the "do you worship Satan then?" area.
I asked him if his parents ever taught him anything before he started attending church services,and he seemed confused.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 12, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Sounds like my dad's sister ... I have nothing but darkness and bitterness in my life and will never have happiness because of my "pagan witchery". OH and I hate God.

*eye roll*
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:39 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• post this:

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:59 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• I had a kind of similar discussion the other day.... Kind of, haha. Someone asked that if I believe everyone goes to heaven, what is the point of doing any good right now, here on earth.

My answer was that you do right because it is right, not because there is some sort of divine reward or divine authority telling you to do it. What is more scary than the idea of people being moral without God or without certain beliefs about God (hell, etc) is that there are so many people who seem to imply that they wouldn't be moral without their God or their specific beliefs about God. That people can't see the importance of doing what is right outside of a religious context is frightening. It makes you wonder who the more moral truly are, to be honest. Those who are moral because it is moral, or those who are moral because they are scared into it or expect reward for it...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:03 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• I still think back to the question back when RD didn't exist and all we had was R&B. When asked if they would murder someone if they didn't have the 10 Commandments to tell them not to, at least one poster said they probably would.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:37 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• People like that have been brainwashed into believing that they NEED a god to continue to guide them in their life. THey have been crippled from being able to hold themselves accountable.
    The idea that one does good or is a good person is all because god is in their life is the biggest misconception. It's a shame so many people fall so easily to their knees to beg forgiveness instead of understanding that their goodness and morality lie within. And when you grab hold of your own morality instead of looking outward for it....you realize how much good you actually CAN do, and how good it really can make you feel.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Well, my mothers husband seems to think EXACTLY that...the first time I met him, he basically told me I could not have morals without them being taught to me in church.

I ended up telling her (when she asked what I thought of him) that he was fine, as long as he was going to leave God/ church out of our conversations
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:55 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• It's sad, really. Decent people are decent people.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• I think I remember that np. It's truly frightening.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 9:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I agree that goodness lies from within your very soul......but I also believe that believing in God helps through the toughest of times....there should always be a happy medium...anything in extremes is always bad, but morals have nothing to do with religion but on what you were taught as a child and what examples you were shown....because remember we learn from what we see.....

Answer by older at 1:39 PM on Sep. 12, 2013