• In the Spotlight:

60 bucks buys what?

sorry about this pic being SO huge...it wouldn't copy the smaller one.

I have a friend who is not able to work and gets a bit of food stamps- lives on her own, who didn't have money for food or something this month...not sure on the actual details- but anyhow, I guess someone helped her out and either bought this for her or gave her 60 bucks to buy food with.  She posted this pic and said "  what  $60 buys at the cheapest grocer"

*****

I wanted so badly to leave this response,  I had typed it out- then in the end, decided to leave it be. 

"Glad you were able to get some food, but it looks like mostly drinks...no potatoes, rice, pasta, frozen veggies?  *not trying to be mean or anything, but it seems you could have gotten a lot more for 60 bucks. I mean it looks pretty much healthy, but will it last very long and not go bad?"

2 questions-

*do you think what I was going to say sounds bitchy or mean?

* what do you think of her food choices with that 60 bucks?

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 9:51 AM on Sep. 12, 2013 in Food & Drink

• the V8 is not essential therefore i wouldn't have bought that, nor would I have bought an expensive brand of bread. i could've done way better with $60
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:54 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Well, I think the produce is fine...except that mushrooms are very expensive and I would consider a luxury. If she's on that tight of a budget, the bread could have been cheaper, and boneless skinless chicken is a luxury, she could buy whole chickens for a lot less. Individual applesauce servings are more expensive than large jars or cans of applesauce and if it's for lunches it can be put in individual tupperware containers, not sure what the drinks she bought are, but if you're so broke someone is loaning you money, you can always drink water.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:56 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Where's the beans? It seems dry beans are so overlooked, but they are inexpensive and good sources of nutrients.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:10 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• She is not a good shopper. We are a family of 5 and I can buy for 2 weeks with $60.00. Coupons... sales at different stores etc. etc. Meal planning does wonders.

I do not think you are inserting yourself in her business if she posted this for the world to see. You want to post something expect both good and bad opinions.

Just my thoughts.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 11:34 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• I could have done a lot more than what she did with $60
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:56 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• I think she could have stretched $60 a little further, but I'm not sure you could say that without sounding bitchy even if that's not your intentions. KWIM?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:01 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• If she eats the mushrooms in the first week, it doesn't matter. It's just that for the price of the mushrooms, she could get several more servings of other vegetables...as you said, frozen veggies. I don't know prices where you are, but for the price of one package of mushrooms here, we could get 3 bags of frozen veggies.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:07 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• I really think along with food stamps they should hand out tips for cheap foods to buy/cook (like dried beans, potatoes, etc). It amazes me what some people consider "essentials" (like v8)

Answer by missanc at 10:22 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• She could have done way more with $60. There are too many ready made things in her cart. I'm not one to skimp at the grocery store, but I know how to squeeze my pennies when I need to. She needs some shopping help. How is that enough produce for a month? No, I don't blame you for deleting your comment. While it was correct and she could benefit from hearing it, she would probably take it personally and find it a bit offensive. Especially when other people could see the comment.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:30 AM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Sad thing is, I have taken her shopping and tried to show her how to shop wisely and make the food stamps stretch but it was like trying to train a spider monkey hopped up on SunDrop. She paid about that much attention and she is always running out before the month is over.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:52 AM on Sep. 12, 2013