please help me

Hello mummies. Don't no if I'm writing this in the right place so bare with me.

I have recently found out that I am pregant. I'm 5weeks+3days.
I work nightshirts in a care home and I'm only on a introductory contract. My permant contract was due 2montha ago. I'm worried off tell my boss I'm pregnant she will let me go. I carnt afford to loose my job not now anyway. But if I don't tell her I'm scared I will loose my baby due to all the heavy lifting and manual work involved. Some equipment is fine but others is just as good as lifting. I have told my boss about this before and she said don't do it then but all my other work mates looked down at me and started to push me out. I really don't no what to do help.

yasmin101xx

Asked by yasmin101xx at 12:34 PM on Sep. 12, 2013 in Money & Work

• You say "mummies", so I'm thinking you're not in America, but maybe England? So I don't know the laws there, which means what I'm about to say may or may not apply, as it's based on my experiences here in America.

Here, most employment tends to be "at will", which means if you have no contract, they can fire you for any reason that isn't discriminatory. Pregnancy would be discriminatory, but they could easily claim to fire you for any reason other than that - so they could say that you were unable to do your job duties or something.

However, you have concerns over losing the pregnancy due to the work involved, so frankly, I think you have to risk losing the job, if you want the baby. I realize it may complicate things for you, but you have to decide what's more important.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:39 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• hello. yes i'm from england :) i think that sounds about right. its just been so confusing. i will hand in my notice tomorrow. my babies safety is more important. i have to give 4 weeks. so could i still ask for a risk assessment in the mean time just so i don't have to do anymore lifting etc.. thank you
    yasmin101xx

Comment by yasmin101xx (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• It won't hurt to ask for a risk asessment. You may or may not get cooperation, and if you don't, in this case, you may hae to just cut your losses and walk out the door. It's not worth putting the baby in danger.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:01 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Try to find a new job NOW, then give your notice.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Why give notice? Tell them you are pregnant and cannot lift and see what they do... Maybe they will be accommodating to your situation. Its worth a try.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2013