HOW MUCH SHOULD I CHARGE FOR MY HOMEMADE FONDANT CAKES, CUPCAKES, & CAKE POPS?

I AM TRYING TO START A SMALL SIDE BUSINESS MAKING CAKES, I HAVE DONE A MINION & A WHITE WITH POLKA DOT CAKE ( both 4 layer choc & vanil). I DIDNT CHARGE BECAUSE IT WAS FOR FAMILY, BUT HOW MUCH SHOULD I CHARGE FOR CAKES LIKE THAT? HOW MUCH SHOULD I CHARGE FOR CUPCAKES AND CAKE POPS WITH DESIGNS? Ex. I HAVE SOMEONE THAT WANTS BURGER CUPCAKE & SPONGEBOB CAKEPOPS??? PLEASE HELP.

OhHeyyCHEKA

Asked by OhHeyyCHEKA at 3:57 PM on Sep. 12, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I'm not sure, but I'd check what the regulations are in your area about selling food out of your house. Some places you have to have your home (or wherever you're making the food) inspected and meet certain guidelines if you're looking to start an actual business.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Go to local bakeries and grocery stores and see what similar items sell for in your area. Stop at as many places as you can to do your research to learn what to charge.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• STOP YELLING> Figure out your costs and then determine how much profit there is to be made, while keeping up with prices from competitors.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• photos of your work, please.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• The rule of thumb is triple the cost of the food ingredients, but it depends on the market, how much competition you have, how great a need there is for what you are selling.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:11 AM on Sep. 13, 2013