First grade is going to lead me to death, alcoholism or insanity!

Pardon me while I have a break down. After 2 hours of non stop homework with my 6 yr old I've lost it!

She has to learn to read a book per night and is tested on it the next day. She'd doesn't know half of these fucking words. She had to write the words 11-20, twenty times each. Write three color words 20 times each, memorize 50 site words for a test tomorrow. Plus memorize 100 kindergarten site words that she never ever brought home in kinder, none of the kids know them. The test is also tomorrow.

Day before yesterday the book was so hard. She couldn't get it after 3 hours of going over and over it I gave up. She made a zero on the test.

I'm so stressed. Now we have to go to soccer practice and she doesn't know half of this new book.

Please tell me it gets better.Please send me some happy unicorn sunshine rainbow thoughts before I pull all my hair out. I'm off to soccer. I'll return return in an hour or so. :(

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 5:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son isn't doing Any of that! I don't know if I should feel relieved, or as if they are screwing over my kids education.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:01 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• on the first day of school, i was complaining (and i made a post about it here) that she didn't have nearly enough homework. now im eating my own words. it's not quite as much as what you described, but it's a lot- so much for ME to remember to have her do. there is a packet she sends home every monday with a sheet per night and it's due friday. that's what bugs me, i'd rather her send the sheet home the day before it's due then have to find a safe place to keep it all week. then she has a spelling test every friday. on top of that she has sets of 25 sight words to learn, once she learns those i have to sign off the paper and she gets another set of 25. plus she is also tested on books she reads and they want them to be reading atleast 2 books a week, and you can't have her tested until she reads it 3 times. SIIIIIIIGH
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• oh, btw, mine is in first too!
    tnm786

• That's freaking ridiculous! She missed like a whole week of school & should be given the same amount of days to make stuff up. I realize the state puts pressure on everyone with the required curriculum, but they are not being realistic if they think kids can cover so much so quickly. Talk to the teacher before you are both so overwhelmed. I hope she dials back for everyone's sake. GL *hugs*
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Mrsmom, this isn't make up work! She had all her make up work done prior to going back to school Monday.

This is regular nightly homework.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• That seems like a lot for a first grader. Does she only have one day to get her spelling homework done? Our homework assignments come home on Friday and they have to hand it all in by the next Thursday. They did it a little different last year, but it was never as much as you mention in your post. Have they even done a reading assessment to give her the level book she should be working on?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Welcome to the world of I am having a beer while you do your homework, lol! It does sound a bit crazy in 1st grade, but my kids have to read 2 entire books above the grade level they are in, I think tomorrow bring the teacher some of your homemade goodies, and have a sit down, this is way to much for a 1st grader!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• sorry edit, 2 books above the grade they are in per week, hello, I am still working of the 4th part of Game of Thrones for the past 6 months, LOL
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• First grade homework brings out my inner psycho too. It seemed like out of all the elementary grades, they got the most. My son starts his on Monday.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Oh, and I totally second the having a beer (or drink of your choice) during homework *as long as you aren't having to drive anywhere afterward. DS and DD used to get very upset on Thursdays when we would do practice spelling tests. Mind you, I never put extra pressure on them to get them all perfect since its a practice spelling test and this is when it doesn't count. I make them rewrite their incorrect words a few times and then we do it again. Both would break down in tears when I would mark even one word wrong. I still have no idea what the deal was with that, it just made me feel like a giant A-hole to make them cry, but knowing that they needed to practice. I'm not proud to admit that Thursday happy hour was an regular thing at my house.  Although neither cried today so I haven't had a drink, but there is a cold beer waiting for the moment the first tear drops.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2013