Grrrr stubborn child!!!

My son decides hes hungry just as I tell him its bed time. So I told him to eat a string cheese. He was still hungry after that so he ate a yogurt. Then he was STILL hungry and wanted chicken nuggets. I told him no, and that he would take a bite of them and say he's full. He promised me that wouldnt happen and that he'd eat them all. So I only made him 3. He ate 1 and said he was full. I said nooo way, he promised and he has to finish. Bed time was at 8... its now 10 min to 9 and he's still sitting at the table. I told him I don't care how long he has to sit there, he will finish them. And I told him the longer he sits there the more tired he would be at school tomorrow. Still nothing. Am I mean for making him sit there? He's gotta learn a lesson right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Sep. 12, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you knew he wouldn't eat them why not give him one at a time? And in my opinion it woudl be better to put him to bed since it is a school night and save the nuggets for tomorrow when he asks for a snack. He gets them or nothing.

Of course you can parent however you wish, this is what I would have done.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:55 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• what luv said!

don't make this into a struggle now...put him to bed and the next thing he wants *besides breakfast will be the nuggets.
    He needs his sleep
    honestly, it sounds a little like he was stalling for bed...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• What you should do is send him to bed, he needs his rest.
    Serve them for breakfast. If he doesn't eat them for breakfast, serve them for dinner tomorrow night.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 9:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• WHy the hell did you make chicken at that hour?? You are punishing your kid for your mistake. Next time give him something to drink like water with the cheese and yogurt. We quite often think we are hungry when we just need to hydrate. Don't punish the kid b/c YOU made a poor parenting choice.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• ^^^yep, what Crafty said about a drink would have probably done the trick..
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 10:15 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• Nope this is pad parenting in my book. You may have a nibble before bed but after that you may have a glass of water.
    Eating just before sleeping is not considered healthy.
    You knew he could not eat all of that and you made the nuggets any way.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• To tell the truth, the "you'll sit there as long as it takes" tactic sets up a pointless battle of wills. There's no way for either party to win, so to speak, without making the other lose face. The reason I know that is because my mom tried it with me once. It was a half a pear she wanted me to eat, but it was too ripe to suit me. I remember the whole thing vividly--when she told me I'd sit there till I ate that fruit, no matter how long it took, I thought to myself that there was a fight I could win. I crossed my arms, and I sat there for six hours. From six to midnight. Finally, she came into the kitchen and said, "You really aren't going to eat that, are you?" I shook my head, and she picked up the pear and flung it down on the floor so hard it exploded all over the place. She had a mess to clean up, and victory was mine. I decided when I became a mom that I'd never go down that road.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• He's not hungry, he's prolonging his bedtime!
    Big drink of water, off to bed.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• No, he doesn't have to learn a lesson. You can let it go & things will still be OK.
    You & your son are on the same side!
    It's hard to gauge hunger signals accurately while/after eating. Drinking will help to feel full/satisfied, but even with that there sometimes is a lag time between eating & feeling satisfied. I have observed this myself, especially when I feel REALLY hungry, and snack. Sometimes if I can just wait before getting more to snack on, even though I'm still hungry, my satisfied/full feeling will kick in and I'll realize I'm fine with just what I already ate.
    Sounds like your son was in that space.
    I try to tell my 5 year old twins about how if they wait a feeling of fullness or satisfaction might kick in, but it's hard for them to take my word for it & I do know how the urgent HUNGRY feeling feels.
    It takes experience (AND time) to truly learn, within your own body.

You don't have to be hard on him OR yourself!!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2013

• It's simple logic, if he didn't say he was hungry until he knew it was bedtime, it's obvious he didn't want to go to bed...He's not going to starve, get a drink of water, and off to bed......
    I'm not going to tell you it was bad parenting, we ALL make mistakes, and are learning as we go... I know I am, and ours are 17, 11, and 10 years old. It's a daily battle with what's right and wrong..... Just chalk this up to a learning experience, and move on....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2013