Part 2 of going back to school but what for?

This is the dilemma. Concorde institute has the classes I want to take for medical office administration. It's tuition is also $14000. I can take the same program at FSCJ but the classes there aren't really what I'm interested in. For example it's more prerequisites that I took already and some economics and humanities which I don't care to take. FSCJ says the tuition is estimated at $5000. I know I can't beat the price but if I want to learn payroll, accounts payable/receivable, medical coding and billing and they are all offered at Concorde wouldn't it be worth the money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Sep. 13, 2013 in Money & Work

• I don't think so, but that's a gut reaction. Consider what your earning potential is in the field and how long it might take you to pay back a student loan. And check carefully; a lot of private schools have been cut off from federal financial aid because of poor graduation rates.

If you already have the prerequisites, you probably can get them waived at the other school. You'd need your transcripts. You can also see about testing out of the prereqs.

I'd also look at a community college.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:57 AM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I'm sorry, I don't recall if you have some college from before. If you do, you may be able to transfer at least a portion of the credits you already earned and thus manage to skip the classes that don't apply to what you wish to study. Are you trying to earn a four year degree, or would you do as well with a shorter program that just focused on medical administration? Could you take some of the classes at the less expensive college and others at Concord? It might be worth your time to call the counseling or advising offices at Concord and get a staff person to answer your questions. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:53 AM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I do have a B.S.Degree and can probably transfer credits but I wanted to take classes for billing & coding and bookkeeping. FSCJ doesn't offer that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Sep. 13, 2013

• It sounds like you are looking for more of a technical school program. Concorde has that program, however, because it is a for profit school, they will charge you an arm and leg for it and you still won't get the education you deserve. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2013