8th grade teacher here in NC suspended for showing "Same Love" video in class as a talking point...

I will post the video for you to watch. Apparantly the teacher had students watch the video and then had them answer questions on their thoughts. Questions like:

"Did this make you think differently about the gay community:? Why or why not"
"Do you know gay people and has this changed how you feel about them? Why or why not"

The parents were not informed that this was going to be a class parents have reacted in anger.

How would you feel about this? Do you feel it was coming from a place of the "gay agenda" or do you feel it was more an approach at discussing stereotypes and how to try to break free of them?

Asked by sahmamax2 at 9:01 AM on Sep. 13, 2013 in Religious Debate

why can't I make this a clicky??? Where have my options gone??? GRRRRRR

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 9:02 AM on Sep. 13, 2013

think I got it now

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 9:03 AM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I would have allowed my kid to watch at an 8th grade level.

What I would have a problem with, and cause me to complain, would be the lack of letting the parents know. There should have been permission slips sent home the way there are any time something sexual in nature is discussed in school.

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I see nothing wrong with teachers pulling students out of their comfort zone and encouraging them to think about societal issues.
    Parents who find this offensive, having their children do nothing more than discuss a topic, are going to have a rough time hearing about topics broached (at the very least) in a University setting.

The subject of marriage equality isn't going to be swept under the rug. It is not just going to go away. It is something we all have to face. Much like civil rights/ wage equality etc.

Answer by feralxat at 9:28 AM on Sep. 13, 2013

• There was nothing sexual in the video.

Answer by feralxat at 9:32 AM on Sep. 13, 2013

• So, let me get this straight, the teacher played the video for Macklemore's song and parents got uppity?
    Do these parents think that the kids *especially at this age* have not heard this or seen this video somehwere else?
    or is it just not okay to hear or see it at school in class?!

maybe the parents should listen to it... a couple's about LOVE

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:41 AM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I live in NC and my question is what class this was played in? What class is available at a middle school level that covers controversial topics.
    I wouldn't have a problem with it at 8th grade but I would want to know before it was talked about AND know what educational goals this was covering.
    To me, free discussing topics at 13 is very different than freely discussing topics at 18/19 at the university level.

Answer by missanc at 9:57 AM on Sep. 13, 2013

• *also, I'm sure the kids see many things at school in the hallways or on the bus -that are worse than anything in this video

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:57 AM on Sep. 13, 2013

• Let's be honest, it's NC. They're pissed because it doesn't paint religion or the bible as the be all and end all of knowledge on anything (or specifically homosexuality). If it was the same video about an interracial marriage instead of homosexuality, they'd still be pissed because of the lines about the church and the bible.

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:59 AM on Sep. 13, 2013

• It's not just NC, there was also a teacher suspended in Michigan for playing the same song

Answer by missanc at 10:07 AM on Sep. 13, 2013