What to expect at an ADD evaluation?

My DD's teacher suggested she get tested, what do I expect? Will they ask her questions, will there be written test? she is 7.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Sep. 13, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I'm not sure about ADD, but my son was diagnosed with Asperger's and ADHD last year. It is a LONG process. We started it at the end of the school year his 2nd grade year. All summer we filled out questionnaires, got his teacher to fill out one before she left for the summer, his Taekwondo instructors, his Cub Scout leader, ANYONE who had a lot of interaction with him got to fill out at least one questionnaire. Then, during the weekly visits to the psychologist, my son was doing "tests", game like stuff, for an hour or more.

Then, right as school was starting for his 3rd grade year the psychologist gave us his diagnosis. From there we started on some behavior modification therapies. They helped, but not enough. So, around Christmas last year we started him on Concerta for the ADHD. He's now been in 4th grade for a week and a different child than before testing and diagnosis.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:32 AM on Sep. 13, 2013

• It is mostly a lot of questionnaires, discussions. It's not something diagnosed by bloodwork, or anything, so there won't generally be any medical tests - unless there's suspicion that there might be something else or something additional going on.

How long it takes depends on the doctor, and how quickly the people who need to fill out paperwork get it done. The diganosis is, relatively speaking, the easy part. It's figuring out how to treat it - behavior modification, meds, dietary changes, etc. - that's hard.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• Probably a lot of questionnaires, like Rosehawk said. That's how it was for my stepson. Like hundreds of questions, because the answers can be subjective and the professionals are looking for patterns. It's good to have as many people as possible provide input.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:46 AM on Sep. 13, 2013