Jumping on the public humiliation as punishment bandwagon....

is there any scenario your kid could or would do that would make you consider any type of sign holding, street corner, social media, etc form of discipline?

We experimented in it for the first time recently and the result seemed appropriate for the unique situation and of course every family, situation, etc is different and everyone learns differently..... trial and error........ how do you liken it to spanking personally?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:53 AM on Sep. 13, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• I don't believe public shaming is ever appropriate as a form of discipline.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• Ummm, No.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I can't imagine a situation where public shaming would be appropriate.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• No way. Absolutely not. I think public shaming does more harm than good, causing anger and low self-esteem and accomplishing nothing else. My mom used that tactic a lot, and seriously, all it didwas piss me off.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I don't believe public shaming either.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 12:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• No, I don't think I would. I want my kids to have a positive self image.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• i thought the incident where the mom made her child wear "poor clothes" to school because she was constantly bullying someone else for her fashion choices was pretty good. sometimes you have to walk a mile in someone else's shoes. it may have been the only true way the girl could have learned a lesson. i guess that's not really at the same degree though of public shaming.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I seriously doubt I would ever do it.
    *I have spanked when my kids were younger- but that was between me and them...not me-them and everyone else, you know?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• There's never anything severe enough to deserve being publicly humiliated. All it does is cause anger and resentment, whatever lesson is trying to be taught gets lost.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I don't believe in public shaming.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 7:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2013