Web sites to teach a teen how to intrview for a job?

My stepson wants to get a job at Wal-Mart. I think it's an extraordinarily bad idea--he has enough trouble keeping up in school as it is, and his temper isn't going to cut it in the work world--but his parents are supporting the idea, so okay. The thing is, he won't get a positive response slouching around with his head down, staring at the floor and tossing out monosyllabic answers no matter what he's asked. So have any of you found good Web sites, maybe with videos featuring young people, that will show him some interviewing strategies? If he's going to do this, I'd rather not see him get shot down before he ever starts.

Oh, also, do you think it wuld be a good plan for him to put down his special education manager, or whatever the heck her title is, from school as a reference? I'm thinking someone ought to give the people at Wal-Mart a heads-up about his special needs, but maybe I'm off the mark here.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2013 in Special Needs

• Listing the manager as a reference might be okay, but as far as letting them know about his special needs - how special are they? If it's something he needs accommodations for, then he needs to learn how to tell them and ask for the accommodations he needs. But if they're not, I'm not sure letting them know is a good idea. Aside from the fact that it could cause them to not even hire him to begin with, it could also get him off on the wrong foot with them - make them expect him to be a problem or something. Could end up setting him up for failure, instead of helping him out.

As far as sites that would teach him interview skills, I'm afraid I don't know of any. Maybe you all could work with him? Do practice interviews?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• Can the unemployment office help him?
    Don't they even do practice interviews?

If not, then I am sure that Special Ed Mgr would be a great resource. Life skills and whatnot.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• Most interviewing skill comes from actual interviewing. I would wonder if the school doesn't have some program that helps teens learn interviewing techniques.

And no, nothing should be said about his special needs. I'm not even sure that's legal.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• Try YouTube maybe.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• What about doing mock interviews with him? Talk to his school counselor to see if he/she can help out. My son had a class last year that taught the kids how to fill out applications, write a resume and cover letter and interview. Do you have any friends that are in management that can mentor him and help him with interviewing skills?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I asked at the unemployment office, but apparently they don't do anything till a person is over eighteen. He won't turn eighteen til mid-November.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2013