Do you purposely try to shut down questions?

Not so much reporting, though it's obvious some take that route. I'm referring to giving a flippant or dismissive answer before anyone else replies, in hopes nobody else will bother participating in the discussion? The quieter it's been around here, the more noticeable this is becoming.

On a related note - do you answer questions you don't really have an interest in or an answer for, just to leave your mark on the question or get the points?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2013 in About CafeMom

• No & No.

Though, I'll admit to derailing crazy troll questions just for the hell of it.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• HMMMMMM
    I think it depends on the OP, the type of question and the frequency of the same style of question.
    I think the OP in many cases sets the stage to close the question, not by physically closing it but by her own responses or lack of them.

It depends on the day. I don't answer questions that I do not have some knowledge on the subjest unless it is to say I do not know but I am interested too.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• think it depends on the OP, the type of question and the frequency of the same style of question.

In other words, you only do it to people you don't get along with...
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I don't do any of that deliberately. Sometimes a short, dismissive answer is all that's required.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• Sometimes a short, dismissive answer is all that's required.

And sometimes it's just being bitchy
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I don't knowingly do that.

If there is a component to the question I need to evaluate in order to be able to comment without looking like a points driven fool I will wait until I have time to hear what the OP wants me to hear or see what the OP wants me to see.

Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• If I have no interest, I don't answer. Sometimes I'll go back and vote up answers if what I want to say has already been said.

And then of course it depends on the stupidity of the question....

Or am I just bitchy?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• Not intentionally but some of the questions lately are so far out there that when you can think of 1000 reasons to answer/explain a why/why not, most of the time since the question is so wacky that even if you give 1000 reasons or recommendations they still probably won't get it so a short simple to the point answer is often the best as not to confuse. IMO

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• If I have no interest, I don't answer

You'd think that's what most people would do. I don't spend much time answering baby name and ttc questions, so I wonder sometimes why people answer things in other areas they obviously have no knowledge or interest in.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• No anon actually and rarely at that.
    If a particular OP is more interested in ignoring anything said except what she wishes to here (validation) or takes comments by others and picks out one tiny bit, rather that the whole of the comment that is the individual ops, prerogative

It has nothing to do with like or dislike. It has to do with the individual's mind set at the time. Some are more pron to it than others and some do not seem to be prone to it at all.

Or is this about some question you posted? If so please post links.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2013