This may come across as dumb...

But, what on earth is that a picture of in the CM logo? I know it's for Yom Kippur but, to me, at least, it looks like a chicken claw/foot. Is it a leaf? A piece of bread? I honestly mean no disrespect to any of our Jewish ladies here. I am just trying to understand.

3libras

Asked by 3libras at 1:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• A Shofar:

Wikipedia:
    The shofar was used to announce holidays (Ps. lxxxi. 4), and the Jubilee year (Lev. 25:9). The first day of the seventh month (Tishri) is termed "a memorial of blowing" (Lev. 23:24), or "a day of blowing" (Num. 29:1), the shofar. They were for signifying the start of a war (Josh. 6:4; Judges 3:27; 7:16, 20; I Sam. 8:3). Later, it was also employed in processions (II Sam. 6:15; I Chron. 15:28), as musical accompaniment (Ps. 98:6; comp. ib. 47:5) and eventually it was inserted into the temple orchestra by David (Ps. 150:3). Note that the 'trumpets' described in Numbers 10 are a different instrument, described by the Hebrew word 'trumpet'
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• It looks like a horn to me!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• ram's horn

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I know changing the O in the logo is their thing, but this one would probably be a little easier to see if they used the f instead
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• Oh yeah, I can see part of a horn.
    3libras

Comment by 3libras (original poster) at 1:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2013