Do i need my baby's bio-father's approval to hyphenate his last name with his last name and mine?

Ok so my 6 month old was given the fathers last name at birth. But now (since his father has been moved on from us, expecting a new baby, getting married, and making child support so difficult) i would LOVE to hyphenate his last name with my last name. Plus the fact that my surname will die with my generation if i don't. The father has not legitimized himself.. he signed the birth certificate, but has yet to legitimize.. so do i need his approval as i am not taking his last name off but just adding mine? I would feel weird asking him as we dont talk and I feel like he is just MY son because im a full time single mother and feel like I shouldnt have to ask permission to do something with MY babywho doesn't even KNOW his bio-father. please help!

Braydensmom0306

Asked by Braydensmom0306 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he's such a douche, why do you want to keep his name at all? If I were in your shoes, I'd want to take his name OFF the birth certificate altogether.

As for how to do that, I have no idea. Call the courthouse and find out.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I am having trouble with you question. I think you would need to talk to a lawyer to change the child's name.
    The rest is too confusing for me sorry.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I dont wantto ask for permission from my babys dad to change his last name to mine, what im asking is Would i need permission rom my baby's father to simply add (hyphenate) my name to his legal name?
    Braydensmom0306

Comment by Braydensmom0306 (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• The most help we can offer you is to
    1) refer you to google
    2) refer you to an attorney

this is governed by your state's laws.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• Changing is changing. Ask an attorney.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• Any time you wan to change a name you have to talk to a lawyer, go through the court, I think.

Answer by louise2 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• You have to go through the courts to get a name change. Depending on your state, city, county you might have to get the dad's permission.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• Any changes to a child's name in the state of Montana require that both parents agree to the name change. I don't know what your state requires.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• No you do not.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2013