Are chocolate chip cookies bad for hamsters?

my 6 year old just informed me that she shared a small piece of hers with her hamster. ive already talked to her now about how hamsters can only eat hamster food and some fruits/veggies but not cookies, so now im just hoping that it won't harm our Hammy.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2013 in Pets

• not very long at all, maybe 20 minutes. it's those chips ahoy cookies so there arent' really many chips to begin with LOL! hopefully she'll be alright... i don't know how big of a piece she gave her.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• While it is not great for them and can harm them in enough quanities. As long as it was just a little bit and most likely a milk chocolate variety which doesn't have much theobromine which is what is deadly to animals. I think he will most likely be fine.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• They're really prone to diabetes so you have to limit anything like that, or eliminate it. I doubt anything will come of this one time....they tend to eat anything and be okay.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I know some kinds of chocolate are really bad for dogs. Not much help, I know.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• Small animals like that tend to digest their food quickly, so if nothing comes of the cookie incident in the next hour or two it probably won't. That was awfully sweet of your daughter to share, even if it was ill-advised.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2013