If you're going to require people to have picture IDs to identify them, they have to be correct...

Janice "Lokelani" Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele is in the midst of a fight with state and local officials to ensure that her full name gets listed on a license or ID card. Her name is pronounced: KAY'-ee-hah-nah-EE'-coo-COW'-ah-KAH'-hee-HOO'-lee-heh-eh-KAH'-how-NAH-eh-leh.

Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele was compelled to bring attention to the issue after a policeman last month gave her a hard time about her driver's license when he pulled her over for a traffic stop.

(The driver's license) only have room for 35 characters, so Hawaii County instead issued her driver's license and her state ID with the last letter of her name chopped off. And it omitted her first name.

He (the officer) suggested she could use her maiden name.

I may have to cite this story the next time someone gives me a hard time about the 3 syllable names of each of my kids :)

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 3:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2013 in Baby Names

• Wendy- I did try to pronounce it and SO, who grew up on the islands, about fell out of his damn chair at my butchery :)

I bet! I gave it shot. My version went: KAY-ee-ah, screw this crap. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I hope she doesn't have kids. Can you imagine that spelling/pronunciation nightmare in Kindergarten?
    I'd marry the first guy who came along who's last name was "Smith" or "Jones"!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I wouldn't even want to try to pronounce that, and I cannot imagine the hell that is involved when she has to spell it on the phone or something. Wow!

Seems to me, if that's her last name, then the state needs to find a way to make it fit. If they can't, then it shouldn't her fault if her driver's license is incorrect.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• My eyes crossed just trying to make out her last name. I wish her the best of luck, but I don't see what she expects them to do without issuing a massive sized card, or making the font so impossibly small that no one will be able to read it anyway.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• What she expects them to do?
    If she is mandated by the state to provide proof of identification ( in order to drive, purchase alcohol and tobacco, to a notary public, just to name a few) and the state issues that identification under the wrong/ incomplete name, who is responsible?
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• Wow, that's a mouthful! My speech reader sounded like an auctioneer in a foreign language.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:44 AM on Sep. 14, 2013