Do you think these programs should be included int he SNAP program?

The amount people are getting because in many cases ( not all) it is an insanely high amount. When we got it our family of 4 got $540 a month. We spent 6 months on them and then DH got a better job and we went back to only spending $350 a month. I admit it was hard to go from 540 to 350 again. there were many nights we were eating beans instead of chicken or fish going 'man, I sure miss the food stamps'

I almost think it would be better to cut the amount offered to a reasonable amount to feed a family who shops carefully (because chances are once back on their feet their budget will not allow for the same amount in groceries) and add required nutrition and budgeting classes. It could be a once ever 3-6 month thing but make it mandatory to keep the benefits. It seems then we are giving them a hand up and not a hand out. I feel like it would teach people how to make better choices with their food and their money.

I may be off base and I am sure their are flaws but after my experience I feel this would be more beneficial...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Honestly I feel like it's not my place to judge what people buy, regardless of their form of payment.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• So- because you had/ have a problem budgeting your family's meals, everyone utilizing the programs needs a refresher course in meal planning?

Kind of like, you file bankruptcy and everyone else needs a financial planner?
    You get your e-mail hacked, you don't know how to change a tire, you get cavities...
    Do you see where this is going?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I'm thinking this would just be an unneeded cost to the state. Those who are on hard times either know enough about how to shop on a budget, or they just don't care. The ones that already know how won't need the classes, and those who don't care won't use what they're taught anyway.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• Saying it's a SNAP issue is snobby. It's a civilization issue, and everyone, whether they are on food stamps or making 150k/yr has NO excuse for not knowing how to shop and cook for their family without feeding them chemicals at every meal. Teach everyone on SNAP how to cook beans and rice from scratch, you'll still have millions of fat parents taking their fat kids through the McDonald's drive through 3 nights a week.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I agree with feral
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 5:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• but chemicals are so inexpensive

LOL
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I have no idea why the amount is so high.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• It's not about what they buy it is about understanding how to prepare food on a budget that is going to be reasonable to help that family when they are no longer on food stamps. I don't care if they get their kids cookies and a coke lol. It was just really hard for us to go from an extravagant menu back to meatless nights and sales. We had to work really hard to make our budget work once we had to start buying our food again.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I am not saying that what is purchased should be governed. That is up to personal choice. I am suggesting that offer large amounts of food stamps is not helping as much as they think it is. It is very short sighted. It is a band-aid on the problem. It would be more helpful to make sure people understood how to budget a reasonable amount of food stamps and then be taught how it further budget once the benefits end. I only suggested nutrition classes because many of you, in the past , have said that some people don't buy the cheaper healthier food because they don't know how to prepare them or they don't know how to shop for them.

I totally agree this stuff should be taught in school but some people would still end up needing a refresher I am sure.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I agree that the amount given in many cases is way more than a family needs. Beans and rice to keep from starving are not that expensive!

Answer by missanc at 4:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2013