Are you a GOOD mom because...

you're mom was a good mom to you?

Did you're relationship with you're parents, affect whether or not you are a good parent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2013 in General Parenting

• *your, not you're x 2
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I don't know. I just parent the way that works for me. Is it because I grew up with a good mom, could be. We don't have the same parenting style, but she raised me to be independent and do what works for me, so it could be due to her.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• To a certain extent, I did have a good role model, but I corrected in my parenting what I thought was missing in my childhood....

Answer by older at 8:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• No my mom was a shitty parent & I vowed to never be like that to my kids and I'm not.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• It definitely had an effect. I didn't want to be the way my mom was...not that she was a "bad" mom, but some of the things she did were not things I wanted to repeat
    part of it...a lot of it was due to her religious beliefs - so things like her making me go to church even as a teen/young adult as long as I lived in her house, even though I no longer believed in God. She did NOT like the fact that I wore a lot of black and enjoyed going to clubs and refused to walk with me in the mall because she didn't want people to know I belonged to her... stuff like that. She was always worried aobut what the neighbors or her church family would think. She never understood me, and didn't seem to want to try- only to change me into what SHE wanted. We rarely talk now, we are okay, but there is just nothing there...otehr than life issues and the weather. It's sad, really
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• My mom sucked. But, my grandma's were awesome. My mother basically abandoned me, I guess because of her, I will always be there for my girls.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• I don't know if I am a good parent. I guess we will have to wait and see what kind of adults I turn loose on the world.

My father passed when I was a tween and my mother didn't remarry. I think she was a wonderful mother, even though we didn't agree on tons of things. She always gave me enough room to be me, but put limits on what she would put up with. I don't think I could have asked for better.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• My mom died when she was 37 and I was 14. In retrospect, she didn't live long enough for me to know if she was an amazing or bad mom. She had a massive stroke when I was 12. I could not imagine going through that.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• When I had kids, I knew I didn't want to be like that. I always encouraged my kids to learn, and explore how other people believe, so that when they got older they knew what kinds of things were out there and that they would understand others better. I made a point to TALK to my kids, and try to take a REAL interest in what they liked or were into. I let my kids dress how they want- color thier hair and all that and never had a problem with it. That kind of stuff. Stuff she never did. My daughter is almost 20 now and she is my best friend. *still working on it with my son...he is a bit more...difficult - but we are fine. he just doesn't do hugs, or say I love you or anything like that anymore ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2013

• any reason I am the only one with no vote ups?

interesting...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2013