Is it normal for an obese woman to miss her menstrual cycle?

Let me start by saying that I am obese (100 lbs) overweight. I was not always obese. I recently gained 100 lbs over the course of 5 years. However, my menstrual cycle had always been irregular since I was in my teens. I am 33 years old, weigh 250 lbs, 5'6, married with a 4 year old son. My LMP was two months ago (60 days from today). I had concerns about going 47 days in between cycles earlier this year and my PCP had some lab work done on me to rule out early Pre-Menopause. She said that all of my hormones appeared normal and there was no indication that I was entering early menopause. Her only recommendation was to lose the weight. I am eating healthier and exercising and the weight is starting to come off reasonably. I have also taken 6 pregnancy tests (one of which was yesterday) to completely rule out the possibility that I may be pregnant (my husband and I do not use any contraception other than the retrieval method - which I know that it is not guarantee protection against conceiving). I feel perfectly fine but I am just concerned that this may be a sign to serious health condition. I have not been able to see my PCP because her next available appointment is not until October and in that month I will no longer have the same medical insurance (which means I have to wait for my new insurance -Kaiser- to go in effect and schedule an appointment with a new doctor there). Can anyone please tell me if they have experience missing a period before and they were not pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Sep. 14, 2013 in Health

• YES. Overweight women have a much higher percentage of having PCOS. Your ovaries are not releasing eggs, and therefore no onset of period.

GET HEALTHY!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:38 AM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Yes, it's common.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:00 AM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Thank you I was thinking PCOS but I have not been diagnosed with it. Like I said I have started a healthy eating plan along with proper exercise to get healthy. My problem has been that I place others needs before mine (husband, child, work). Before married life I used to hold two jobs (a full time and a part time job). I would also go for a 3-5 mile run prior to going in to my full time job, I would eat every 3 hours and go in to the gym in between jobs and then after my part time job I would go to dance practice (I was in a salsa dance team). Now, my new solution is that I schedule time for me. I'm starting to plan my meals in advance and pack them the day before I go to work. I am also taking an extra bag of gym clothes to work so that I can go in during my lunch hour to the gym that is well. I was just concern about missing my period and if it was common for obese women to miss their period.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:07 AM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Keep at the exercise and healthy eating!!!! It will probably resolve your missing periods. Good luck. Don't give up!!!!!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Yes. Sudden weight gain or loss will mess up your cycles. So does thyroid issues, stress, age, and hormonal changes.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:58 AM on Sep. 14, 2013