Girl dies, law says it's the school's responsibility to handle the bullies responsible, not the police

Who thought this was a good idea?

Florida police seek cyberbullying charges after suicide of girl, 12

Yes, the schools should have a responsibility to be aware of and deal with the things that happen when they involve students at the school, but why is it ONLY the school and not inclusive of law enforcement as well?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:53 AM on Sep. 14, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Legal experts said it is difficult to bring charges against someone accused of driving a person to suicide.

I can kind of understand this. How do you prove that someone's bullying drove another person to suicide? They could have already been depressed, or even if not, how do you prove that that one statement, shove, whatever, was the straw that broke the camel's back? I don't agree with it, necessarily, but I do kind of see the point there.

I do, however, think it's a crime that should be handled by police, not the school. The school can handle minor issues like fights, shoves in the hallway, taunting and teasing that happens on campus. If it's online, off school grounds, or persists, then it should become a matter for the police.

It's a shame that this girl felt that she needed to do this. When will people get fed up and start actually doing something to stop this kind of bullying?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:14 AM on Sep. 14, 2013

• What gets me is there is a precedent for banning people from using computers/tech/internet. It goes back years, and is the punishment that's been issued to hackers along with fines and probation - they touch a computer, they go to jail, period. Why can that not be extended to spoiled brats whose parents can't seem to see their precious snowflakes as being part of the problem? You send harassing messages or keep telling someone to kill themselves, charges are filed, the judge says if you touch a cell phone or use the internet for the next X amount of years, you're going straight to juvie.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:19 AM on Sep. 14, 2013

• there might not be legal precedent in charging someone for being the cause of someone else's suicide but there should be charges for harassment if there is undeniable evidence of it, and it should be handled by the law of course. i do think though that the school should expel those kids as well.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Why would the schools be responsible when the bullie's actions were in violation of Fla. Stat. § 784.048?

Section 1d very clearly states the bullies committed a crime:

through the use of electronic mail or electronic communication, directed at a specific person, causing substantial emotional distress to that person and serving no legitimate purpose.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:45 AM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Imo it's a community problem. That includes schools, law enforcement, and everyone in the community. It cannot be the sole responsibility of any one person or group. If schools and law enforcement would work together to stop cyber bullying, maybe we would quit hearing of these sad cases. It just breaks my heart that no one wants to take responsibility and punish the jerks who do this.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Sounds like some serious buck-passing going on here. Nobody wants to be proactive, or nobody knows how to be proactive.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Why would the schools be responsible when the bullie's actions were in violation

The article is referring to a different law specific to anti-bullying. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=1000-1099/1006/Sections/1006.147.html

Hopefully they go after them under the harassment law if they get stuck with the bullying law

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• yeah. i read the article and the cited law.
    sad actually.
    imho- as parents we should educate ourselves as to our options and learn what laws can protect us.

and then we should make a lot of noise.
    kind of feel like a broken record, but here goes:
    When DD was being harassed and the school said there wasn't anything they could do about it, I took matters into my own hands.
    oddly enough once I cited law to the police, people, read the school, finally took me seriously.

if i had sat back and hoped someone would do something I don't think the kid would be here today.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Good Ol' Florida....
    this is just awful. Sounds like Mom did her best by home schooling and moving schools. Here's what I don't get: if the bullying is cyber, why not close accounts/turn off the computer? What am I missing? Do something else instead of checking in with these people writing hateful messages. If it's in school, that is different. The day this crap happens to my kid, I'm moving, disconnecting the computer / iPhone / tablet and taking a seriously drastic approach. Kids are idiots and who knows what is motivating them to be from hell in one particular moment online? Could be their own shitty life...bottom line to me, these poor kids are a mess and where are the parents to help them out of it?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:42 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• "they touch a computer, they go to jail, period. Why can that not be extended to spoiled brats whose parents can't seem to see their precious snowflakes as being part of the problem? "OP
    Snowflakes, love it! LOL
    But in regards to regulating computer use or whatever, its almost impossible to enforce. A kid can get access to any computer. They can go to the library, a friends house etc. If the little bastard/s who did this can gt access to a computer, all he has to is pretend to be someone else, that is of course could be considered stalking. But what if the school does enforce the anti-bullying, what can they do after the student is off campus and the bullying is off school grounds? These damn kids need a ass beating, and have go to school wearing a sign that says.."I am a coward because I use the net to bully someone. I am weak"
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:14 AM on Sep. 15, 2013