Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Speaking of child support

the calculations in my state are based upon obvious factors like bills, income, etc but they also factor in the number of overnights. obviously the more overnights the non custodial parent has the less they have to pay.

well what if they aren't taking them on all of their overnights? how would a person go about reporting this?

so far since the court order was final on aug. 20th he's missed 5 overnights.

Answer Question

Asked by tnm786 at 11:19 AM on Sep. 14, 2013 in Money & Work

Level 43 (159,608 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • Do you have a lawyer?

    Answer by louise2 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 14, 2013

  • It wouldn't be immediate (at least in my experience) it would have to be over the course of like a year...
    You don't want to be one of those moms who runs to court for every little thing.
    And you don't really report it. You take in extensive documentation and then file for a modification of the support order.


    Answer by feralxat at 11:39 AM on Sep. 14, 2013

  • I understand each parent should contribute financially to the kids. But I don't understand milking the other parent out of every little dime. My kid had dead beat dads. And what I hear on here, I am glad they where. I didn't get any financial support. But I didn't have to deal with them either.


    Answer by louise2 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

  • I agree with feral. This would take some time, but make sure you document. If he tells you verbally he isn't taking them, send him an email stating a confirmation that he won't be taking them on the overnight on X date. That way you have a written copy of him not taking them. Depending on how often he doesn't take them, it may take a while or only a few months. In my state, there has to be a 15% difference in order for child support enforcement to take it to court. You can use the online calculator to figure out how many nights would result in a 15% difference in what he pays. Good luck!
    And Louise - you make it sound like if I didn't push for child support my ex would just leave. If that were the case I would gladly forego child support, but he's here whether I like it or not.

    Answer by missanc at 12:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

  • I hardly consider 185 a month for two kids milking him for everything he has, so maybe you should keep your trap shut Louise if you don't know what you're talking about

    Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

  • Owe, I do know what I am talking about. I raised two kids without help from the dads.

    Answer by louise2 at 3:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

  • Cool,gloat about it like it's something to be proud of.

    Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

  • I think you should call your lawyer, but am worried that will make him honor the agreement, from your past posts I know joyous would rather have them with you! $185 per month? What does he do? Collect cans? Lol!

    Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

  • Damn auto correct you not joyous ,lol

    Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

  • I do not feel it is appropriate to insult/ ridicule/ minimize women who do not have to bear sole financial responsibility of their children.

    It is akin to saying, women who have no assistance from their children's fathers are too stupid to find cocks which are attached to real men...

    Answer by feralxat at 6:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
Tips Please

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
Sinus headache