Would you eat this?

Last night, my SO's neighbor gave him a freezer bag with frozen raw meat in it. He said it was deer meat (aka venison) but the guy doesn't always know what he is talking about.

He also put some wood on the fire and said it was birch but then said it was a soft maple.

Apparently the guy was in the Vietnam war and Desert Storm as well as being a truck driver.

After handing the meat to my SO, the neighbor was talking about eating squirrel and racoons. Is there a way to know exactly what is in that bag? Should we eat it? What do we say to the neighbor when he asks if we ate it?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 12:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I wouldn't eat it because you don't know how long after it was killed it was frozen, you don't know if it was defrosted and refrozen, there are just too many "unknowns" to be sure you are eating meat that hasn't been tainted in some way.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 4:59 AM on Sep. 15, 2013

• As long as the meat is cooked thoroughly I think it should be OK.  I might marinate it & either slow cook it or throw it on the grill. If you've had deer before, you will be able to tell in the 1st bite if it's really deer. I've never had squirrel or raccoon, so I have no idea how it tastes. Some people do eat that kind of meat tho, so who knows, you might like it. If you aren't the "adventurous" type, then do what KTElite said. :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• In that case, "when in doubt, throw it out"
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• I would not even accept unknown meat from someone I didn't trust 110%. I would take deer meat from someone I trusted though, yum.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Tell the neighbor you made the best stew EVER then discard the meat.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 12:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• I would also say I didn't care for it. That I was a picky eater, and it was too strange tasting for me. That way he hopefully won't give me more.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 5:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Raccoon and squirrel would be small... is the hunk of meat bigger than those animals?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• If I don't know what it is, I won't touch it much less eat it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• I've had squirrel before and didn't really care for it.

I'm an adventurous person (mom taught me never to be afraid to try something once) but when I don't know what something is or if it was prepared correctly, I'm not so much adventurous.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2013

• Cook it, throw it in a stew or something to cover the taste. My mom was raised on squirrel and rabbit. They were very poor.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2013